Eaves height question for single storey

Your interests and your neighbours are aligned: He'll want to avoid a situation where the side of his house is cracking or subsiding in five years because his foundations are bearing on your modest retaining wall. You'd expect the BCO to stick their head over the fence at foundations inspection too if it's literally 18" away.

Sponsored Links
What size/ style roof are they building? Have you seen the plans?
I was told that it will be a flat roof the same height as their garage.
Plans....Nope not seen any
They knocked our door the day the builder was starting and said they only were informed by the builder the night before, that he was starting the next day. That was a Porkie pie as we noticed some frantic moving of belongings from the garage into the shed 6 days prior so they obviously knew then. Lie number 1
And when asked how far out the entension was going out, I was told 4 feet but it is in fact, 9 feet. Lie number 2

I guess this is why I am very sceptical as to whether this is being done properly as they are not the house proud type either :(

Your interests and your neighbours are aligned: He'll want to avoid a situation where the side of his house is cracking or subsiding in five years because his foundations are bearing on your modest retaining wall. You'd expect the BCO to stick their head over the fence at foundations inspection too if it's literally 18" away.
I am not sure they would be able to see it properly and no one knocked our door to ask to come around for a look.....BCO or the builder.

I think I may measure it's distance tomorrow to see just how far away it is and ring BCO to see if it's a job they know about

Sponsored Links
It's sad how these situations arise just because neighbours don't talk to each other.

If my neighbour suddenly announced they were starting to build an extension that day that was close to the boundary I too would be less than happy. I would probably take the view that if they are so ignorant as not to have the common courtesy to knock on my door a few days before just to let me know then they are probably ignorant enough to ignore Planning, Building Regulations, Party Wall Act etc. etc. (and put a boiler flue close to boundary so the neighbour got the benefit of the fumes)

I would give them one more chance, I would approach them and express my concerns about the boundary retaining wall. If they reassured me that they had taken it into account and the foundation depth would not affect the wall I would probably let it go but continue to monitor the work very carefully. I would expect the extension foundation to be taken down at least to the level of the retaining wall foundation. If they continued with the ignorant inconsiderate selfish approach it would be time to start getting awkward.
Couldn't agree more !!!
I have a full on job myself and the last thing I want is to have to waste time on this when a simple knock on the door would have helped and to show us the diagrams....If they have any, but now, it's up to me
Just completely inconsiderate behaviour.

Hi all I'm not sure this is the correct place to post this but I have a question regarding the eaves height measurements on a sloping ground.

Basically I've applied for PD for a single storey extention 6m depth by 5m. With a max height 4m and eaves height 3m which has been approved.

My issue is my house (semi) is on a sloping ground so from the front of the house it slopes from left to right. In the garden we have decking directly outside the current kitchen which spans the size of the proposed extention. The decking has two steps before it leads onto the grass.

The shortest part of the decking is on the right 300mm when your facing the back of the house and it slopes to the left where the decking is around 700mm off the grass. So the highest part of the ground level is on the right. Lowest on the left.

My question is where is the eaves height measured from?. If it's from the highest part (defined in the technical guidance notes 2017) surely that would increase the eaves at the depth of the extention right?

At the same time of it's from the Lowest part i would have very low ceilings which will result in steps which I don't want as I'm planning to insert roof lanterns to include as part of the overall height.

You can see my adjacent neighbour has an extention already and he doesn't have any steps although his depth is only 4.5m out with an overall height of 3.2M.
20170808_182003.jpg

Any help appreciated guys.

My question is where is the eaves height measured from?

It's measured from the highest part of the natural ground level adjoining the extension (even if that makes the eaves higher than 3m on the lower side).

Thanks that was my interpretation of the technical guidance 2017 however I couldn't find anything online that confirmed this in a real life scenario.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back