Persistent smell from new GRP roof via plastic skylights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're renting a house and after a leak from the ceiling the landlord finally agreed to replace the 20+ year old flat roof. Once the rotten wood came off and the roofers started applying the resin, the resin smell drifted into the two rooms that have plastic skylights and 2 weeks later, it is not getting better. We've aired as much as possible but it makes no difference - the stench is nauseating and it always comes back.

Apparently, it is the first time the roofers have encountered such a problem and they insist that they waited the appropriate time between resin applications. They say the roof doesn't smell when they're on it and that it has cured fully, so there should be no smell. They are also suggesting that the landlord replace the plastic skylights with glass, which should prevent the smell drifting inside. However, in addition to the smell coming through the skylights, we have a window that opens onto a portion of the flat roof and the smell is also coming in through there if it's left open. So something seems to have gone wrong.

If it were summer, we wouldn't have a problem keeping the doors/windows open all the time while hoping that it all airs out but in October, it isn't an option and we effectively can't use these two rooms with the windows closed (one of which happens to be the kitchen/dining room). Any suggestions as to what might help?

Sponsored Links
So you are saying there is nothing wrong with the roofing work but it will smell horribly for the next couple of weeks...months...years? It is most definitely not getting better.

By the way, we also found out that the worst of the smell is coming from the stack pipe area around/behind the dishwasher and mould has appeared on the wall near the stack pipe (there is a hole near the ceiling in the kitchen above the kitchen cabinets and the mould is near it). The roofers mentioned that they've sealed one of the "water outlets" on the roof (not sure what that is and why they've done it), so I'm assuming that this has something to do with it. The main water supply valve is inside of a cupboard adjacent to the stack pipe and the resin smell is also very strong there. I was hoping someone could give me a clue as to what might have gone wrong and how to fix it. Is it possible to unblock the "water outlet"?

Sponsored Links
Pictures of what? I can't get up on the roof to check. I'm sorry I posted with this kind of reply...

There are some first class trades posting on this site . Unfortunately none are mind readers , or fortune tellers .
Just like there are some first class landlords , and some pain in butt tenants sounds like you should look to the stack pipe , or your landlord should.

Well, from what I gather, no one has encountered this problem before. I guess that's the best I'll get, thanks anyway.

So you are saying there is nothing wrong with the roofing work but it will smell horribly for the next couple of weeks...months...years? It is most definitely not getting better.

By the way, we also found out that the worst of the smell is coming from the stack pipe area around/behind the dishwasher and mould has appeared on the wall near the stack pipe (there is a hole near the ceiling in the kitchen above the kitchen cabinets and the mould is near it). The roofers mentioned that they've sealed one of the "water outlets" on the roof (not sure what that is and why they've done it), so I'm assuming that this has something to do with it. The main water supply valve is inside of a cupboard adjacent to the stack pipe and the resin smell is also very strong there. I was hoping someone could give me a clue as to what might have gone wrong and how to fix it. Is it possible to unblock the "water outlet"?
Could be some of the resin has not fully cured.
If not enough catalyst is used in a particular batch it will never cure.

This seems to be the case indeed. There is a rain outlet on the roof that seems to lead somewhere inside the building (the drainage system I'm guessing). The roofers admitted they must have dropped some resin into that hole and since it's stinking, it must have not been mixed properly. They poured 3 buckets of hot water inside "to dissolve it" but I'm guessing it isn't that simple. There is a smell in all the rooms adjacent to the vertical area where the hole seems to lead. Wet and windy weather makes it worse, which at this point of the year is a problem.

This seems to be the case indeed. There is a rain outlet on the roof that seems to lead somewhere inside the building (the drainage system I'm guessing). The roofers admitted they must have dropped some resin into that hole and since it's stinking, it must have not been mixed properly. They poured 3 buckets of hot water inside "to dissolve it" but I'm guessing it isn't that simple. There is a smell in all the rooms adjacent to the vertical area where the hole seems to lead. Wet and windy weather makes it worse, which at this point of the year is a problem.
I don't think hot water will dissolve it as the resin itself is waterproof.
The company i used to work would do a fair few GRP roofs every year.
To dissolve the resin when cleaning brushes and pots ect, we would use acetone.
However acetone is highly flammable and the fumes are dangerous in confined spaces.

Last edited:
I see - is acetone safe for pouring down waste pipes? I'm worried that if it's not removed, the resin will just keep stinking forever.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back