Personal Data

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a Smart TV. I need to sign up to watch Freeview, but I must agree to use of my personal data. Not willing to do so.

I have Dion Freeview Digital Set Top Box.

I am wondering if I could just plug that into the Smart TV, and avoid having to agree to use of my personal data.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
you might consider setting up a new email address, with a different name, and registering on that.

if you don't use it for anything else (and especially not on your home PC) then they may be unable to link it to personal data you have provided to youtube, google, microsoft, facebook, etc, because there won't be matching cookies.

On my smart TVs I can connect a keyboard and mouse with a USB (I use a wireless) so need not go through a PC. It is relatively slow, though.

They can detect "probable" user or household matching by the IP address.

Hi

I have a Smart TV. I need to sign up to watch Freeview, but I must agree to use of my personal data. Not willing to do so.

I have Dion Freeview Digital Set Top Box.

I am wondering if I could just plug that into the Smart TV, and avoid having to agree to use of my personal data.

Thank you.

Never heard of anyone having to sign up to use Freeview. Have another look at the manual.

Yes you could use your Freeview box but that rather defeats having Freeview built into the set which all modern sets do.

You can, but I think you're mistaking the freeview with the manufacturer's services.
I have a Samsung and on first use it asked to sign up to their services.
There's an option to bypass that and use the freeview without registering.
However, some apps might not work without registering.
You can always input made up details and use a throwaway email address.
John smith
Email address: [email protected]

Sponsored Links
Just make something up, don't use your real name, real address or real D.O.B.

I have been using fake info for the past 20+ years, its worked for me.

Many thanks to all for your good advice.

I forgot to mention, it is a Medion TV. It has a Freeview button. So, when I press the button it goes through that rigmarole of 'consents'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back