perspex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm trying to locate some translucent (rather than clear) perspex, I only need about 18" x 3". It is for a display that will be backlit, obviously clear wont do as you will be able to see right through (hope that makes sense!) Does anone know ehere I can get any?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
have you thought about opaque sticky back plastic attached to the perspex
or even some fine emmery paper in a half sheet sander!!!!!

Hi, thanks for the reply,

I have actually thought of both ideas, however with both methods the "sign" for want of a better word is not completely flat, ie you can see the sandig or adhesive.

Thanks

i am not shure but i believe you can get an etching spray !!!!

Sponsored Links
I know you can get etching spray for glass, dunno about for plastics.

You can get frosted finish acrylic.

Pop over to ultimate handy man - http://www.(insert here).co.uk/acrylic_sheet.htm

Theres a few pages on the subject, and a forum if it doesnt answer your questions.

The guy who runs it is a bit of an acrylic expert i believe.

sanding clear perspex never gives a uniform translucency, the scratches always show. the process that would be equivalent to etching it is to apply a solvent, ideally you would use ether as a solvent but it is very hard to get hold of nowadays, cellulose thinners works, but again it is not particularly good for creating a translucent effect.

perspex is a trade name for polymethyl methacrylate (pmma) made by ICI. the same material is also called Oroglas when made by Rohm & Haas. both companies make thousands of hues and transparencies - the trouble is actually buying some if you want less than a truckload.

I use a company called brighton plastics, who are based in brighton strangely enough, they will sell a sq metre, but dont stock all translucencies. (translucent being the effect that you want rather than transparent). a web search for pmma, perspex, oroglas or poly methyl methacrylate should find you a supplier nearby - perhaps mail order.

If you really cant source some pmma I would suggest:
1 try sandblasting - this is the only way to remove the transparency evenly but will never make the clear stuff any more misted than tracing paper.

2 buy some self adhesive window frosting from a local sign company (one of those places that does sticky plastic lettering - they will sell it by the yard) and stick it to the back of the perspex, so the front stays shiny and grease wont show if someone touches it.

3 consider putting something else under the clear plastic that has the desired translucency - like nylon, paper or cloth.

4 if you are using it for backlighting you may find that white perspex is the best thing to completely diffuse a light source - you can often make this even better by lining the 'lightbox' with tin foil.

a few tips for using it when you get it - perspex work hardens when you cut it, the result of this is for tension to be set up internally and thousands of small cracks will appear in time. to avoid this always cut it at a slow speed using fine toothed metal working saws - if you cut too fast it will melt and sometimes weld itself back together behind the blade.

likewise drill it slowly with a sharp twist drill, the same you'd use for steel. as for adhesives the cleanest way to weld perspex is to use ether squirted into the joint with a syringe, alternatively you can use a perspex adhesive (such as tensol) but these are always a bit syrupy and very hard to avoid getting where you dont want them. adhesives will show up the work hardening.

you can always polish out edges of cuts, scratches and smears using finer grades of abrasive paper following up with a buffing wheel.

I'd agree that sanding acrylic (the "generic" name for this substance - never heard anyone in the trade refer to it as pmma before) won't normally be too consistent unless you can get it passed through a wide belt sander in a joiner's shop - the combination of constant pressure and constant feed speed will give a very consistent surface effect akin to brushed steel. And as for asking for pmma? Or ICI? Perspex is now part of the Owens Group and is sold by their Lucite division - still made in the UK at Darwen, though.

For supplies I'd ring round a few of the local signmakers as white opalescent acrylic is commonly used for signs and anyone making either signs or light boxes might well be able to help you with an offcut.

The best way I've found to cut it is with a router and cutter, although there is a guy over at www.ultimatehandy*man.co.uk who works for Lucite and has put-up a page at http://www.ultimatehandy*man.co.uk/acrylic_sheet.htm (remove * to make links work) based on sound practical experience and including the full factory Perspex manual in PDF format

Scrit

i used some of the etching spray on the rear window of my van. not sure if it was perspex or some other form of plastic, but it worked a treat, and cost about£8 for a can from one of the sheds.

Many thanks all, I managed to find someone that will make me one

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back