Petrol Lawn mower Not used for a couple of years...

you usually warm the oil by running the engine.

But as you do not know how old the oil is; or if it is contaminated with water or rust, I would be inclined to drain off the old, fill up with new, start it (if you can) to get it hot, then drain off again, then refill with new. As it is such a small engine it will not take much oil and it does not need high-tech modern synthetic oils, so the cost will be very slight.

It is good practice to do an oil change before putting it away for the winter (or see Dan's website that I posted before).

Sponsored Links
By going through the steps I outlined, starting her up and letting her run for 5 mins.

If you want to be extra careful you could change the oil first, then run her up to hot and then change it again (only very small qty of oil involved so not a great expense. Any multigrade car engine oil will do the trick)

The hot oil will bring a lot of "crud" out that won't shift when its cold

John
sorry didn't see your post on the new page
You covered everything perfectly
Aplogies :oops:

Sponsored Links
thanks for that I will have a go this weekend and let you know how it goes!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back