Using same petrol funnel for two stroke machines and mower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Will it mess up my mower if I use the same petrol funnel for two stroke tools on my mower (just petrol)?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
No it wont.

Just wondered if a bit of the two stroke oil dried or a tiny amount left after filling my two stroke machines if then got into my mower would mess it up. Tiny amounts of course

Not a bit - just keep the funnel, and the fuel cans particularly- clean.....its amazing how much garbage gets into fuel systems via the cans.
John :)

Just wondered if a bit of the two stroke oil dried or a tiny amount left after filling my two stroke machines if then got into my mower would mess it up. Tiny amounts of course
I have even used 40:1 two stroke in the 4 stroke lawn mower when I had no straight petrol and it was fine, wasn't even particularily smokey.
I wouldn't risk it in a modern fuel injectioned car but an old carburettor lawn mower engine should be fine.

I have even used 40:1 two stroke in the 4 stroke lawn mower when I had no straight petrol and it was fine, wasn't even particularily smokey.
I wouldn't risk it in a modern fuel injectioned car but an old carburettor lawn mower engine should be fine.

Indeed, they used to add oil to the petrol and call it 'upper cylinder lubricant' at most garages back in the day.

Ah, lets have a squirt or two of Redex (y)
I’m intrigued.....catalytic converters are claimed to be damaged by fuel contaminants such as oil, yet the oil consumption of some new engines is incredible.....a litre per 2k miles can be acceptable :eek:
John :)

Ah, lets have a squirt or two of Redex (y)
I’m intrigued.....catalytic converters are claimed to be damaged by fuel contaminants such as oil, yet the oil consumption of some new engines is incredible.....a litre per 2k miles can be acceptable :eek:
John

I would guess they are only damaged by excessive oil, small amounts will be burned off.

Just make sure you leave your equipment empty of fuel over winter

or use alkylate fuel e.g. https://aspenfuel.co.uk/ or equivalents (like stihl motomix). Doesn't go off and starts easily after winter - no need to drain off. Expensive but you don't use much and saves all the hassle of stale fuel.

Out of interest, when a petrol station has fuel delivered, the tanker driver often uses the same hoses for diesel and petrol, simply draining them out before swapping over.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back