1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Rust inside petrol container.

Discussion in 'General DIY' started by Munroist, 28 Jun 2020.

1. Munroist

Munroist

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Need a clever idea here - I have an old petrol container that has some sentimental value, I think it was probably bought in the 30's

Anyway, it has some small areas of rust inside, and occasionally these rusty bits come out when I'm filling the lawn mower etc, I presently filter what comes out.

Any clever ideas how I could get rid of or stabilise this rust?

fill it up full of vinegar and leave a few days - or maybe pour some kurust in and slosh it about ?

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Burnerman

Burnerman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    To get rid of the rust (to some degree) stick some clean nuts inside and give it a good shake, then flush it out.
    Treatments are available to rescue the internals of old petrol tanks which are completely effective, at a price. I don't think pouring any chemical or rust treatment would do much good for any length of time, and certainly I'd get a plastic can for the mower!
    John :)

4. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    lead shot will scratch the inside less. You can buy it by the kg or possibly smaller quantities. You don't need a licence.

your petrol can may be made of tinplate, in which case it is preferable not to scratch the inside plating off.

5. HERTS P&D

HERTS P&D

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  6. Sponsored Links
  7. frutbunn

frutbunn

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Frost Auto restoration do a three part treatment imported from America. Its the only one worth using, and I've treated loads using various types. Its not cheap though.

8. Tigercubrider

Tigercubrider

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You can remove rust by filling it with vinegar or a mix of water and treacle
    Obviously, placing a cube on it's side means less liquid and it can be filled up with more rust remover to be quicker.
    Personally I wouldn't use it if it's important to you, as modern fuel develops water and causes rust.
    There are liners but check it's ok for ethanol based fuel and it's a bastard to remove

Actually my task for this pm is to remove old tank liner from a tank with MEK which is toxic

9. Alastairreid

Alastairreid

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Phosphoric acid! That's what the dive centres use when servicing our air bottles.
    Doesn't damage the metal.

10. scbk

scbk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I would get a new can to use for the petrol, and chuck some oil in the old one, that will stop/slow down the rusting.

Sponsored Links