Rust inside petrol container.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need a clever idea here - I have an old petrol container that has some sentimental value, I think it was probably bought in the 30's

Anyway, it has some small areas of rust inside, and occasionally these rusty bits come out when I'm filling the lawn mower etc, I presently filter what comes out.

Any clever ideas how I could get rid of or stabilise this rust?

fill it up full of vinegar and leave a few days - or maybe pour some kurust in and slosh it about ?

Sponsored Links
To get rid of the rust (to some degree) stick some clean nuts inside and give it a good shake, then flush it out.
Treatments are available to rescue the internals of old petrol tanks which are completely effective, at a price. I don't think pouring any chemical or rust treatment would do much good for any length of time, and certainly I'd get a plastic can for the mower!
John :)

lead shot will scratch the inside less. You can buy it by the kg or possibly smaller quantities. You don't need a licence.

your petrol can may be made of tinplate, in which case it is preferable not to scratch the inside plating off.

Sponsored Links
Frost Auto restoration do a three part treatment imported from America. Its the only one worth using, and I've treated loads using various types. Its not cheap though.

You can remove rust by filling it with vinegar or a mix of water and treacle
Obviously, placing a cube on it's side means less liquid and it can be filled up with more rust remover to be quicker.
Personally I wouldn't use it if it's important to you, as modern fuel develops water and causes rust.
There are liners but check it's ok for ethanol based fuel and it's a bastard to remove

Actually my task for this pm is to remove old tank liner from a tank with MEK which is toxic

Phosphoric acid! That's what the dive centres use when servicing our air bottles.
Doesn't damage the metal.

I would get a new can to use for the petrol, and chuck some oil in the old one, that will stop/slow down the rusting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back