Peugeot 306 LX over heating issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I bought a Peugeot 306 LX 1.4L petrol 2001 registered 3 weeks ago and broke down the other day due to potential head gasket failure. Had the head skimmed, got a new water pump, cam belt (just for good measure) and new plugs. The problem I face now is after getting all the air bubbles out when we flushed her through with antifreeze and rad clean she still seems to be over heating. We discovered that there are 2 fans at the front. We presumed one fan was for air con, and the other for the engine, but reading up on some info it seems they need to spin together.
What seems to happening is when we let her run idle for about 10 mins the temperature will increase slowly, the STOP light comes on 2 notches from over heating, the only 1 fan will kick in. The STOP light turns off and the temperature eventually goes down. I don't see how it could run so hot after 10 mins and want to know why only 1 fan works. Is it that I need a new switch or do I need to investigate into whether the fan actually works?
Any ideas or suggestions would be mostly appreciated! I just want her back on the road! :unsure:

Sponsored Links
I think we need to ascertain why the car is overheating in the first place.....the fans won't operate as required if there isn't sufficient water flow through the radiator, which leads us to suspect either the radiator core itself having a partial blockage or the thermostat is not opening fully.
When the temperature gauge is reading high, both the top and bottom rad hoses should nearly be too hot to touch, and the rad core itself should feel hot all over. Can you check this?
John :)

Hi John, thanks for your reply. Yes when the temperature starts to rise the hoses and radiator get very hot, there was a lot of air bubbles even after flushing the system twice. Perhaps there is still an air lock?

Sounds like it, try to take it for a short run from cold as this sometimes helps to shift the air locks. I would have thought a couple of heating and cooling cycles would have shifted it though.
Just make sure your aware of the temperature and dont let it overheat.

Sponsored Links
If alls well with the engine (and it should be), the cooling system may need bleeding and there could be points on the radiator top side, thermostat housing and top heater pipe......but they do vary.
It used to be a tip to raise the expansion bottle as high as possible too, if your car has one - but sometimes they are integral with the radiator.

Hi everyone, thank you for all your replies.
I am checking the electrics first this weekend to see if perhaps it needs a new switch for the fan or a new fan altogether! I was thinking I might take her out for a short trip around and keep an eye out for the temp raising up to much.
I am hoping that its a small electrical matter that can be easily solved. :confused:

If your car has the radiator fan switch screwed into the radiator nearside, just check that its the 3 terminal one......this operates one fan from 92 to 96 degrees, and then the other one cuts in from 97 to 102 deg, if I remember correctly (long while since I've done one).
If there's no switch in the radiator, just ignore this!

That's great info, thanks John. :) I'll have to check that when we look at it

Sponsored Links
Back