Peugeot 308 Allure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having real problems with this car since purchased from a Peugeot dealer 4 years ago and now out of warranty.

The car was bought with 5000 on the clock and now 4 yers later has only done 26000.

The car suddenly lost power and recovered by a garage who after inspection told me it seems the timing chain has stripped all the teeth off the crankshaft cog, in doing so, I assume the engine is now nacked and will need a new one. The car will now not start.

I contacted the Peugeot dealer who basically said tuff, not our problem as its out of warranty.

Has anyone else experienced the same problem with this model of car; I feel im getting fobbed off by the dealer due to with a design issue.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I guess this is the four cylinder 1.6 lump?
If so, then its chain problems are many and varied across all the manufacturers that use this engine, and that includes Mini. The problem seems to stem from crap quality chains coming from various sources globally first the engine gets noisy, then the chain tensioner fails and then the chain comes off.
Very sorry to hear of your plight, but there's no way that Peugeot will help you :(
John :)

Hi John, this is the confusion, its the 1.2l petrol engine, the repairs mechanic says its a metal timing chain but the dealer says its belt? If it is a fibre belt then how can this wear our a metal cog attached to the crankshaft? really confusing.

If it is a fibre belt it seems damage must have been caused before I purchased it, because its been well looked after and serviced every year.

I would never buy another car from Peugeot again to be honest, load of expensive junk.

How grim! We all have to go through an inevitable buying of a French motor experience at some point, in order to come out the other side and vowing never to buy French again. Some older Peugeot's seem OK but nothing recent.

Sponsored Links
Unbelievable that there is so much confusion here!
The original 1.2 petrol engine had a timing chain (I think this is yours) whereas the 1.4 diesel had a belt.
Anyway - If a traditional timing belt snaps, the valves make contact with the pistons in the vast majority of cases. These are called interference engines.
If a timing chain lets go due to it getting slack or whatever, the damage to the driving cogs and tensioners is severe and terminal. I presume this is what your garage found and probably removed the top engine cover to determine this.
The latest 1.2 motor has a timing belt immersed in oil (shared with Ford) and that one tends to block the oilways if it starts to go :eek:
Maintenance wise, the traditional belt needs none, but does need replacing after a certain mileage (around 80k at a guess).
Timing belts are supposed to last the life of the engine (corny statement if ever there was one) and their life may be extended by frequent oil changes - likewise the oil immersed belt.
Unfortunately, none of this is of any use to you.....you need a replacement engine or ditch the car, I'm sorry to say. :(
Personally, give me a traditional belt any day - but the Japanese and Koreans seem to get it right with their chains......for undeniable reliability the Hy-Vo chain is the one to have, as on motorbike engines.
John :)

How grim! We all have to go through an inevitable buying of a French motor experience at some point, in order to come out the other side and vowing never to buy French again. Some older Peugeot's seem OK but nothing recent.
Would never touch a French motor, over 35% fail their first MOT, no wonder France allows 2 years between mot.

so much for environmental friendly cars; god help us all when electric cars take hold.

Bring on Brexit and dump imports of ****e French junk cars.

Back