Peugeot 106 brakes problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
This is my first post on the Forums. So if I go a bit "haywire" my apologies in advance.

My daughter owns a Peugeot 106 1.4. diesel car. "L" reg. It has 80500 miles on the clock.

All was well until she experienced her brakes coming on un-aided and stopping the car!

The AA were called out, and proved to be un-helpful--towed her home and left.

Her local mechanic tried various things but could not remedy this fault. He said it may be the servo system, but was reluctant to swop it all over in case he proved to be wrong and wasted my daughters money.
She loves this old car and really cannot afford anything else. So she is anxious to get it sorted out.

Has anyone else experienced this type of problem, and how was if fixed?

Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you in anticipation

Sponsored Links
I used to have an f reg AX which is pretty much the same as the 106. It could be the servo/master cylinder that is causing the problem of maybe both of the front calipers are either knackered or seized but thats probably quite unlikely. The brakes on the ax were never a problem (apart from being rubbish :LOL: ) I would go with the servo myself

Have the rear brake shoes checked as the linings are prone to coming detached and causing the wheel to become stiff or seized.

The brakes are adjustable on these cars, as you look at the engine from the front, look at the bulkhead towards the left side, you will see a black plastic cover covering the brake pedal rod which goes across to the right to the master cylinder, remove this cover and you will see the rod and 2 13mm nuts on the bar, before checking pump the pedal with the engine off to get rid of the vacuum then check it has a small amount of free play, too much and the brake pedal will flop about and not be as effective, too little and when the car/brake system gets warm the brakes begin to bind!

Sponsored Links
if youve had it looked at by some1 who knows what he is doing then diagnosis should be no hardship and would eliminate all the extreme above posts. if you know the brake linings and calipers and hoses are not keeping the brakes 'on', then just replace servo, its an hour job at tops, you could even disconnect if you wanna drive it then to see if they come on? not recommended for your daughter.

kind regards

Back