Peugeot 406 Estate (petrol) 2litre

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My brake lights have ceased to function (fuses & bulbs are fine) access to the operating switch (above brake peddle) is absurdly difficult. Has anyone else had this problem?
Also
Front brake pads are getting low how do the electrical contacts make a circuit?
Thanks

Joe

Sponsored Links
Sorry, can't help with the brake switch - does sound like a sensible next step.

I think the wear indicators are just an insulated part in the brake pad, when it wears down the insulation rubs off and the metal conductor comes into contact with the brake disc and makes a circuit.

I thought so but I can't get continuity twix cable and backing pad; I didn't file through the protective paint I'll try that tomorrow.
Thanks Joe

I thought so but I can't get continuity twix cable and backing pad; I didn't file through the protective paint I'll try that tomorrow.
Thanks Joe

You're not supposed to have continuity. Continuity happens when the pad wears down far enough to activate the wear indicator. At least that's the way all the ones I've replaced so far seem to work. I could be wrong in this but I'm thought my 406 had twin cables going to the wear indicators and contacting the disc shorted between the two and brought up the brake warning light.

Sponsored Links
Some of those 2 wire systems use the circuit to "hold" the warning light off. Then when the pad hits the disk, it cuts the wire and the light is allowed too come on.

So it doesn't have to earth through the disk. The disk just has to cut the wire.

An easy way to check, disconnect the pad and the warning light comes on?

Back