Peugeot Expert turbo cold starting problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1.9 turbo, R reg which has done 135,000 miles. I had some difficulty getting it to start in the mornings a couple of years ago, and it has not been right since.

The fuel filter was changed, which was coincident with the difficulty, but could never be traced to anything to do with the filter.

I changed the glowplugs which made a marginal improvement for a while. It later started to give out white smoke when starting at cold. I have changed the injectors at about 130,000 miles which made little difference.

Over the last few months, things have got worse. I used to be able to improve the starting by flooring the accelerator pedal while I cranked it, but now I need to leave the pedal alone until it has started.

In the morning I will measure the current drawn by the plugs, and check whether priming the fuel pump will help (and so indicate air leaks). Apart from that is there anything else that might be the problem. The engine turns over easily, runs smoothly when warm with plenty of torque, and the lights brighten up as soon as the glowplugs are switched off.

Sponsored Links
the usual suspects really,are the glow plugs staying on long enough and is it pulling in air from loose hoses missing seals from filter etc....

It may well be the plugs. Just measured the current and its around 20A when it should be nearer 200A. Will check against the car.

Sponsored Links
I shall do. I've measured the car plugs in pairs and that starts easily and shows 60A total with about 30A to each pair. It may be contributed to by connections as well. Thanks for the help, I'll let you know tomorrow.

Changed plugs, two outside ones were dead other two not dead (quite). Suprised it takes so much cranking when two plugs are drawing 10A each. Plugs now draw 15A each.

It's possible that your fuel tank vent is blocked. Do you get a hissing when removing filler cap? I had this problem on a non turbo 1.9, and after going through all steps you've mentioned I seem to have cured it by not tightening the cap quite as tight as I was. Do you have the locking Peugeot cap which you screw all the way in and then 1/2 turn of the key to lock? If so, try not so tight. (but still lock it).

Sponsored Links
Back