My 1996/97 Peugeot 306 Diesel Turbo 1.9 wont start...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, first post on here so.. hi! My peugeot 306 wont start for about 30 seconds after turning the key. It turns over, the battery is fine...somebody else suggested preheating the gloplugs a few times before ignition, but this doesn't seem to make a difference. I have checked the oil and that is fine.

The problem has progresively got worse, it used to take a few turnovers to get it started, now I have to do it for at least 30 seconds and then it coughs and splutters into life.

Also, I have to keep my foot flat on the accelerator pedal otherwise it doesnt seem to want to start at all.

When it finally starts, quite a lot of smoke comes out the back, but after it drives fine.

This only happens every morning, or first time I start, after it starts fine every time.

Anyone got any ideas what this is, something I could fix myself?? Just thought I would ask before I take it down the garage and get a hefty bill...

Thanks in advance,
Ta

Sponsored Links
Sounds like faulty glow plugs or fuel system air ingress. To check the glow plugs connect a voltmeter between any glow plug termainal and earth and switch to the glow plug position, you should get a reading of 10-11 volts for about 15 seconds, if its anything near 12 volts you have one or more glow plugs failed.

To check for air ingress, pump the fuel primer until its hard then try to start the engine, if it then starts you have an air leak somewhere.

Peter

Cheers Peter,

Im not sure how to do the first thing (with the voltmetre) but I know how where to locate the grenade and give that a pump so will try that. Then I spose by a process of illimination, if that works it wont be the gloplugs and vice versa.

Ta!

Sponsored Links
Easy enough to do the electrical check, just get or borrow a cheap digital meter, set it to 'DC volts' and connect one lead to the glow plug terminal and one to the engine somwhere.

You can test them without a meter by disconnecting the lead from the terminal and connecting a wire from battery+ to the terminal, if the plug is working you will see a spark when you connect it.

Peter

Back