peugeot 306 1.9 diesel,,,2000,,,gone sluggish and engine slightly smoking???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello,,,I have an old Peugeot 306 estate 1.9 diesel,,,none turbo,,,ive had the car 15 years with out any engine trouble,,,it has 105 k miles on it,,,yesterday while out in it I noticed it was a little sluggish then today it it had trouble starting,,,it has always stared first turn of the key,,,i thought it was just a one off,,,anyway when starting the car to return home it was the same,,,chewing to start,,,when I got home and turned the car off I thought I could hear pressure escaping from under the bonnet,,,the car was normal temperature and not boiled up but there was smoke coming from the manifold area and it smelled of burned rubber,,,???,,,can anyone shed any light on what it could be??????

Sponsored Links
I think we need to call PeterN about this one, I'd guess it is an XUD unit.
Scratching what's left of the memory cell, there used to be a fuel pre heater unit below the manifold, which uses hot water to keep the fuel wholesome in winter. Therefore, there is a chance of the diesel pipes becoming porous, letting air in and causing the starting issues. If it's still there, it was visible through the offside wheel arch.
Is there any sign of coolant leaks, boiling over or oil in the radiator expansion bottle?
John :)

ive just checked the water and oil earlier and the water bottle was empty,,,doesn't seem to be a bit water in it so filled it up,,,cant see any discolouration in the oil on the dipstick,,,looks fine,,,temp guage was fine yesterday but engine seemed very hot when I opened the bonnet,,,tried to start it when I checked the oil earlier and no use just turning very fast,,,seems faster than usual ???,,,maybe over heated it with lack of water,,,head gasket popped,,,could lack of compression be stopping it from starting???

I would suspect that although the temperature was reading normal you were in fact out of water and the head gasket has suffered, the high cranking speed could indicate that there is no oil in the bores as a result of the overheating. The only other thing that would give a high cranking speed is a broken cam belt. I hope for your sake it isn't either but the gasket would be preferable.

Peter

Sponsored Links
How about water pump bearing gone, causing leak and belt to run loose and rub against something ? (Hence smell of burning rubber)

I think smoke coming from the manifold would indicate lack of water.

Peter

Why would the exhaust manifold be much hotter with low/no coolant ? The block might well be though.

The exhaust is the hottest running part of the outside of an engine and if an engine overheats you generally find that there is burning oil smoke emanating from the manifold to head area, it never normally gets hot enough to burn anything off the head, I can't tell you exactly where it comes from but I have seen and experienced this effect a number of times, it maybe because the studs expand and allow leakage, but anyway it happens.

Peter

I'd like to hear the outcome of this one....I've had a bit of experience with fried XUD heads and they aren't pretty. A 1.8 unit had burned the rocker gasket away, causing oil to carbonise on the block - and the valve inserts had come loose. Now that is heat :eek:

had a look at the car today and managed to start it after about 5 goes,,,runs perfect once started,,,kept topping the bottle up with water after each attempt,,,after running for 5 mins I notice a pool of water under the car,,,seems to be coming from the water pump area I think,,,???,,,looks like its popped a leak from somewhere and overheated,,,still no oil in water or water in oil so I guess head gasket is ok,,,i wonder why it chews to start now???,,,it was always a car that started first turn of the key,,,i guess the overheating has caused the inside clog up,,,will this get better with time once the cars fixed or are there any cleaning additives you can put in with the oil etc???,,,its an old car so I might try changing the water pump and timing belt myself,,,doesn't seem too hard reading the Haynes manual......

Water pumps do leak on these, and the bearings wear to an alarming degree, which leaves the timing belt flapping about. Get that bit sorted then come back to us......! The glow plugs may need attention.
If you can get the crankshaft nut undone, you are half way there.....it will be as tight as hell so pop the car in 4th gear, get someone to stand on the brake while you heave away with a socket and breaker bar. If it doesn't shift, heat it up to melt the thread sealant (the bolt, that is - not the car :mrgreen:)

You normally change the water pump when the cam belt is changed so at 105k miles it should have been changed but perhaps wasn't. I have only ever had one pump leak and that was just after I changed the cam belt and didn't replace it.:sick:

I have never had one worn so badly that it was sloppy or even poured a lot of water out but Jim has a lot more experience than me so I'm sure he is right.. If the belt has slipped it will be retarded which would account for poor starting and possibly a little smoke also it will run quieter than usual.

Peter

I recall doing a BX 1.9 timing belt with a water pump so worn the pulley was wobbling all over the place - but the water leak was somehow minimal.
I've never had a timing belt jump a tooth though, so far as I remember.
I hope we get an update - these are great engines and offer performance and particularly economy, well above their time.....50+ MPG being the norm.
How can engines give such economy and be big polluters?

Ever heard of engines getting so hot that piston rings lose their springiness and no longer seal in the bore?

Sponsored Links
Back