Peugeot Partner Teeppee

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Peugeot Partner Teepee, (60 reg), with 67,000 on the clock. Had it for 3 1/2 years and passed MOT each year with no problems and emissions have always been 'good' in the words of the examiner.

Lately wife has been saying she can smell fumes when we are idling in traffic. I thought it may be the vehicle in front exhaust fumes coming in through the A/C but yesterday we were waiting at traffic lights with no other vehicles around and could smell them. Do diesel cars have Catalytic converters or could it simply be an exhaust fault?

Sponsored Links
Your Teepee will have a catalytic converter, and more than likely an Eloys fluid injection system - which helps clean the thing. This special fluid (many types, of course) is held in its own tank near to the fuel tank, and believe it or not the frequency by which it injects is initially determined by taking the fuel filler cap off :eek:
By all means check the exhaust for leakage by sticking your palm over the tail pipe and listen for some chuffing.
If there is a catalytic converter issue, there should be a warning lamp lit on the dash.
John :)

Thanks John. I haven't got one of those Eloys things, (the wife has one on her 67 reg Partner, a little blue filler cap next to the fuel cap).
Also, at the moment we have verystrong winds and it would be hard to listen for a chuffing noise from the exhaust. Wind is supposed to die down tomorrow so Ill have a listen then. Thanksfor the info.
PS I have no warning lights showing on the dashboard when driving.

The blue cap Conny is in fact for Adblue - expect that car to use around a litre of the stuff every 1000 miles - but things do vary. A warning should come up when there are 1500 miles to go.
The Eloys stuff is meant to be a dealer only accessible item, and it needs recharging around 80k miles - so I'm led to believe. I'm pretty sure the car will have the system but to be fair not all do.
Coming back to the original topic - the pong could be the DPF on its regeneration phase - again, we don't always get a warning when it's happening.

Sponsored Links
DPF? Diesel Pollen Filter?
I think/believe that was changed at the last service in Aug 2018.

Close!
Diesel Particulate Filter.......collects all of the carbon nasties, gets super heated by one means and another, then expells gaseous residue back into the atmosphere :cry:

Had it in the garage today and he gave it a good going over. He's convinced it's the DPF trying to regenerate and has suggested to give it a good run down the motorway for 1/2 hour. If it still happens he will put it on some testing equipment, (expensive), to get to the root of the problem.
See what happens at the weekend but happy with what he has suggested and didn't charge me for today. :)

A regen will still keep the fumes inside the exhaust.

If they had done a smoke test up the exit of the exhaust it would have found any leaks in the exhaust.

They did do the test because I asked if it could be the emissions but he assured me they were fine.

When doing a regeneration of the DPF, they do often smell really hot. It's not exhaust fumes, but just a general smell of "hot exhaust" - typically, the rubber hanging straps get a bit "toasty". That's perfectly normal. A lot depends on which way the wind is blowing when you come to a halt. Often, if you switch off the engine whilst it's in the middle of a regen, you'll hear the cooling fans running for a few minutes, just to shift some cold air under the car to prevent heat soak from the exhaust. Also, in normal running, you'll be able to put your hand quite near the tailpipe of a diesel and not burn yourself. If you try it during a regen, you'll feel the difference in exhaust temperature very quickly!

Eolys is ONLY to help regenerate the DPF. It doesn't do anything to the cat. It is added (in TINY) quantities to the fuel from its separate tank. I think it is triggered by being filled with fuel, but dosing is calculated by how much fuel the sender thinks has been added. It certainly doesn't give the same dose every time the filler cap is taken off. Not all cars with DPFs use Eolys. it's very much a PSA thing (and some Fords where they share the engine with Ford). Other makes have different strategies for regenerating DPFs (VAG cars, for example) and do without it. In fact, the new Rifter doesn't have Eolys. I think that's going to become the "Betamax" of DPF regeneration technology!

Thanks for your post! When I said 'it helps to clean the thing' I was referring to the exhaust system in general, although that wasn't clear.
The mystery continues to some degree......some PSA vehicles - even the same model for gawds sake - have Eloys, some have Adblue. This was a people carrier, 3008 or something?
Anyway - My VAG Yeti is Adblue, my PSA Bipper van has Eloys, I've just bought a spankers Honda HRV with a 1.6 diesel and that has nowt, the dealer says! All are euro 6.
When I bought the Bipper the dealer told me to only fill up when it got down to quarter tank -'so the correct amount of additive is supplied' - quote.
Who knows.

Thanks for your post! When I said 'it helps to clean the thing' I was referring to the exhaust system in general, although that wasn't clear.
The mystery continues to some degree......some PSA vehicles - even the same model for gawds sake - have Eloys, some have Adblue. This was a people carrier, 3008 or something?
Anyway - My VAG Yeti is Adblue, my PSA Bipper van has Eloys, I've just bought a spankers Honda HRV with a 1.6 diesel and that has nowt, the dealer says! All are euro 6.
When I bought the Bipper the dealer told me to only fill up when it got down to quarter tank -'so the correct amount of additive is supplied' - quote.
Who knows.

Oh dear - there's an essay that could be written on this!

First of all, AdBlue and Eolys do two different jobs. Eolys is there to help the particulate filter regenerate. It just lowers the temperature at which the soot particles "burn". If you have an open fire, you'll probably have noticed the back and top of the hearth are sooty, but the area right next to the coal or wood - nearest the hottest part of the fire, is clean firebrick? That's because the temperature in that part of the fire is high enough to burn the soot particles into CO2 and it just escapes up the chimney. In the diesel engine, the soot particles are caught by the particulate filter (which has a "brick" in it, a bit like a cat) and held there, in all the little grooves and tubes. After a while it starts to get choked with soot and that's when the engine management system decides to "regenerate" it - about every 500-1000 miles, typically, depending on driving style. Like the fireplace, if the engine is running hot enough, most of the soot will burn off anyway, which is why you tend not to get problems on diesels that do big motorway miles. If not, the management system alters everything it can (turbo boost, fueling, EGR valve settings, etc) to get the exhaust stinking hot for a while, during which the soot is burned and the filter is then clean and ready to accept some more. Eolys is a chemical which lowers the temperature at which the soot burns, making regeneration a bit easier. However, some manufacturers don't bother with it and just use the engine settings (sometimes squirting a bit of neat diesel into the exhaust as well, just to make it burn in there). This technology is obviously cheaper and there's less to go wrong with it, so I think Peugeot will give up on Eolys shortly. (And your dealer was talking cobblers when he was saying to fill it when it got down to a quarter of a tank! I've heard that story doing the rounds before, but we work with PSA vehicles quite a lot and none of the engineers at Peugeot had ever heard it)!

AdBlue, is there to reduce oxides of nitrogen coming out of the tailpipe. It's nothing to do with DPFs or particulates. It's a completely independent technology so you can have one without the other. Here's the interesting bit though. SOME vehicles were able to meet the emissions limits without it and others weren't. Ford, for example, on some of their small diesels, used something called a "lean NOx trap" instead of AdBlue. I imagine Honda might be doing something similar. However, this is where the plot thickens. Unlike Euro 1-5, Euro 6 comes in lots of different levels. This is largely to do with the VW scandal and the EU Commission rushing through a load of requirements that should have been "Euro 7 " when the time came, but there was a huge amount of political pressure from environmental groups and general public concerns about air quality. So we have Euro 6b (I've no idea what happened to 6a)! We then have Euro 6c, Euro 6C with a new evaporative emissions test, "Euro 6d temp" and Euro 6d (and there are a few more in between)! it's an absolute bugger's muddle, it really is! So those manufacturers who claim to be "Euro 6 compliant" without AdBlue, are probably talking about Euro 6b. As far as I'm aware, NOTHING can manage Euro 6c without AdBlue, and certainly when we get to 6d, everything diesel will not only need AdBlue, but a lot more of it than cars currently use! (The car industry is presing garage forecourts to install AdBlue pumps).

So basically, Euro 5 was the one that had particulate limits low enough to need DPFs, and the at Euro 6b, they all need DPFs, but some needed AdBlue. By Euro 6d everything diesel will need Adblue AND a DPF AND petrol engines will need "GPFs" (gasoline particulate filters). On the plus side though, we all ought to live a bit longer and fewer kids will need inhalers, so it's not all bad news!

Sponsored Links
Back