Peugot 306 1994 needs new clutch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I have a Peugot 306 1.4 1994
Has only done 40000
It had two problems - coolant system Ive solved by replacing thermostat
It needs a new clutch - still bites but does slip a bit if I over accelerate.
I dont have the skill to do the job myself
How much should I expect to pay.
I only paid 320 for the car and it's worth 150 ish scrap so I dont want to pay too much
is the job worth doing?
many thanks

Sponsored Links
Probably not, at least get a full up front price before they start.

Generally speaking you'll get a clutch kit for about £100. Add somewhere between 3-6 hours labour to change. Or you can buy only the clutch plate cheaper and get a guy you know from the pub to change it for probably half the garage cost. Obviously the moving part of the clutch would still be the original so might or might not last the expected lifetime of the car.

Sponsored Links
mr clutch do fixed price clutch changes depending on car make and model and engine size. For my 2 litre ford focus its £302 inc VAT for the entire job including clutch kit and slave cylinder.

Thats a very reasonable price for a job which is labour intensive like doing the clutch. No older car is going to be worth the same as the costs to repair certain parts, but think about it like this, how much is it worth to you? if you buy a newer car whats the gaurantee that this wont have problems? and at least if you do the clutch you will know that its ok for another 100,000 miles! Its rare for a clutch to only last 40,000 miles so the car must have been treated a little harshly!

Hello
I have a Peugot 306 1.4 1994
Has only done 40000

It needs a new clutch - still bites but does slip a bit if I over accelerate.
is the job worth doing?
many thanks
I would be very careful about getting it done - I had a pug in the early 90`s - it was old then :cry: The clutch cost ££££££ and then the crankshaft oil seal went :eek: oil on the plates - giving symptoms as yours . OK I run a 5 year old 207 now , but that was new when we got it ;) . A M8 has bought bangers for years now - usually £500 a go , just as long as it`s got more than 6 months MOT . He just finds another cheapo each time one dies , any make any model - makes sense over the years ;)

thanks for all your replies
I'm going to mr clutch tomorrow - will cost 194 all in
has only done 40000 but was driven nicely by one old lady
(some old people tend to be heavy on the clutch I believe)

For that sort of money I wouldn't consider ever doing a clutch again - but do keep an eye out for oil leaks afterwards (not a slur against Mr Clutch, but sometimes the drive shaft oil seals don't like to be disturbed).
John :)

I have seen so many complaints about Mr Clutch but that will be down to the individual depot and their mechanics.

Before you get it changed, are you sure the adjustment is allowing it to fully bite? Sometimes you can hear the release bearing start to make a noise when you depress the pedal but the noise should stop when you let it up.

Then there is the possibility of oil on the plate. I am rather bold with cars and usually see what effect powerfully slipping the clutch in an effort to burn off oil has. ( Some will say you should not do that though but rarely say why! ).

Tony

Clutch replacement is always a ghastly job so I would assume staff turnover would be quite high.....never the most reliable situation!
In times of yore it was common enough to pour carbon tetrachloride over the friction plate (if you could get at it) to shift the oil.
John :)

Lady I know took her metro to Mr Clutch in NW London and afterwards it would not start when the engine was hot.

I guessed that they had left the thick washer with lugs out which locks the flywheel to the crankshaft so the flywheel was spinning on the shaft.

By chance I knew a small place which used to service Metros but had changed to Hyundi but with the same staff. I had been impressed with the skills of the mechanics and the helpfullness of the foreman if you paid him with cash! I explained the situation to him and he agreed to open it up and have a look. He discovered exactly what I had expected!

Sponsored Links
Back