Expecting too much from a cordless combi drill?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought the DeWalt DCD776C2-GB combi drill from Screwfix. It's my first cordless drill!

I just do the odd DIY job but now that I've moved into a new house that needs a bit of work I will be doing a lot more.

I want to use it to drive screws amongst the usual. Until now I've always used screwdrivers but fancied the idea of simply using one of these instead.

The trouble is I can't successfully use the drill for this purpose and don't know if it's because of poor screws, technique or settings etc.

I could be expecting too much or I'm just useless!

For example, I try to drive in 40mm screws through loft chipboard and into the joists but only half way through the clutch (if that's what's happening) just slips and have to finish the rest by hand. I've tried all the torque settings and normal drill setting. I take it I'm not supposed to exert a lot of pressure.

After looking at a load of YouTube videos I just can't understand why it looks so easy for others!

I would say that the screws aren't the best quality but don't if it would make all the difference with top notch ones.

Thanks and hope you can help.

Sponsored Links
turn it to drill to disconnect the clutch and use low gear and off you go

edit
see youve gone to drill setting
are you in low gear ??

I'd have thought that drill would screw in 40mm screws into chipboard/softwood easily.
It's not the bit spinning in the screw slot/ recess is it? THat makes a sort of ratcheting noise, and does the bit and / or screwhead in as well. You need to apply a fair bit of pressure to stop that happening. Good quality bits and screws help.

Thanks.

I've tried it in low gear, in fact I think I've tried all combinations (apart from hammer option!) and yes, it makes a ratcheting noise whereby the bit and screw head starts to look a bit worn.

I must say I am disappointed with this so far, it even stumbled with drilling into a certain section of an internal brick wall.

I hope it is just me being thick but can't see any other setting to use.

Could it be a combination of rubbish bits and screws?

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
You've got to push on it enough to prevent the bit cam-ing out of the screw

Nozzle

you are using a pozi 2 bit arnt you NOT a philips bit
how exactly are the screws described the correct bit will carry the screw to the work and not rock on the bit

it's probably what big all said about the wrong bit being used. i have tried to drive pozi with a philips head before when i dropped my bit and it's a doable but a bit of an ordeal, bit like you're describing. cheap pozi bits will chew early and cam out too.

I would recommend you buy these http://www.screwfix.com/p/wera-bi-torsion-extra-hard-ringmagnet-bit-checks-10pcs/98465

and you'll get on just fine. pricey at £25 but they last ages and make the job so much quicker/easier.

Thanks a lot.

Didn't actually know what the actual difference was between Phillips and Pozi was. Googled it and instantly states without clicking on a link;

"Phillips screwdrivers will fit in and turn Pozidriv screws, but will cam out if enough torque is applied..."

The bits I'm using are what I took from a cheap JCB electric screwdriver so not sure if they're Phillips or Pozi.

Regardless, looks like I need to do a bit of research in terms of a cross head is not just a cross head!

Just hope that's the reason, sounds like it.

If it is the case I'll get the Wera bits.

Thanks again. Learning all the time!

pozi look at the bit a x within a+ if you look at the end
and pozi screws will have the same cross within a cross marked on the head
it will say pz2 or ph2 on the shank off the bit

Just to add that once the bit has gone round in the screw, it rounds the recess off, and makes it harder to get it to bite. If the bit is a cheap one, it'll have taken the edges off that too.
As I said before drill itself should whack in 40mm screws into chipboard / softwood with no problem.

Expensive, though. And what about when you want to remove a screw that someone else has put in?

Are you using a bit holder or have you just put the bit straight in the chuck?

With the bit in the chuck very small movements of the drill have a proportionately bigger effect on the angle the bit meets the screw at. Use a bit holder. Or even better for beginner purposes get some 150mm bits. The extra length will make it much easier for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back