PEX pipes with Brass Compression Fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Simple question and I couldn't find the answer in the FAQ's.

Can I use brass compression fittings on PEX piping (Floplas) if I fit the pipe inserts and use standard brass olives?

Any pitfalls I need to know about? It is for Central Heating and H/C water.

Thanks in Advance.

Sponsored Links
Yes you can. With compression there aren't any pitfalls - you can even scratch the pipe to buggery and it still seal under the olive, unlike when you use a push-fit fitting.

Note that you can't use plastic pipe within 1 metre of a boiler or similar appliance.

If you're using it on CH then make sure you buy barrier pipe - standard is porous enough to allow oxygen into the system and thereby enable it to be corroded.

How else would you connect a PEX pipe under the floor to a chrome-plated pipe on-show?

(Just in case anyone failed to realise the problem: push-fit connectors are NOT generally reliable with chrome pipe. The grab-ring teeth tend not to grab and one day when you least expect it the fitting will come flying off the end of the pipe! OK - you CAN scrape off the chrome to expose the copper underneath but I suggest that a compression fitting (with pipe inserts) is easier and better.)

Why do you think there is need to couple to chrome plated copper tubing?

Sponsored Links
Yes you can. With compression there aren't any pitfalls - you can even scratch the pipe to buggery and it still seal under the olive, unlike when you use a push-fit fitting.

Note that you can't use plastic pipe within 1 metre of a boiler or similar appliance.

See boiler makers, some you can.

Why do you think there is need to couple to chrome plated copper tubing?

Loads of examples in bathrooms and cloakrooms: plastic plumbing under floor, chrome connections to towel-rail, WC cistern inlet, ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back