Phenolic Ply - How to treat cut edge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought some 12mm Phenolic Ply to replace the (9mm) floor of my trailer that had split after I dropped a massive lump of concrete on it - oops

I need to cut the 8x4 sheet that I've bought in order to fit the trailer bed, but I don't know how best to treat the new exposed edges. There appears to be Phenolic Paint available but a large tin for £23 seems pricey (unless it will have other uses)

Any advice welcome

Regards

Tet

Sponsored Links
Not saying it's right or wrong, but I have used a couple coats of oil based gloss, ideally black to blend in

What's that as a percentage of the job though ?

About 77%

I needed to replace the trailer bed and I found some 12mm Phenolic Ply on FB Marketplace. I only needed one 8x4 sheet for the trailer but ended up buying three for £90, which is an absolute bargain

Regards

Tet

Sponsored Links
So, you're willing to buy and store an excess 2 sheets of ply you don't need, but complain about buying and storing an excess X ml of paint (that you'll eventually need to treat the rest of the ply you bought and didn't need) and you're not willing to offset the saving you made on the ply against the paint for an overall reduction in cost on the job?

Perhaps you can sell your part tin on Facebook

(You also forgot to value your time into the percentage :))

So, you're willing to buy and store an excess 2 sheets of ply you don't need, but complain about buying and storing an excess X ml of paint (that you'll eventually need to treat the rest of the ply you bought and didn't need) and you're not willing to offset the saving you made on the ply against the paint for an overall reduction in cost on the job?

Err.....yes, exactly that. I fully accept that it may appear weird but I don't mind buying excess solid materials, whether flat or linear as they are permanent and (mostly) find a use somewhere down the road. The smooth side of the ply sheets would/will make an excellent workbench surface for instance.

I have a 3m solid wood worktop that I bought from Wickes for about £109 that I know that I will use at some stage, how and where I don't yet know but it was cheap at the time......right now the same piece of worktop is on special offer at £239, reduced from £270. I still feel good about that purchase.

All liquid purchases I make seem always to generate excess waste. Paint, glue, sealant etc I never get around to using before it becomes useless and part of me resents buying things that won't get used. The amount of paint that I actually need is enough to cover is 0.036 sq m (2m + 1m x 12mm), a 125ml tin for £17.90 is on eBay and is still massively overkill.

Regards

Tet

Understand the sentiment; I have 3 lengths of 4m beech worktop, bought for 135 quid each about 4 years ago, that one day will become a staircase. At the moment I'm horrendously busy with at least 25 other part completed jobs and there is a cheapo pine staircase in place that works, so they're gonna sit a few years more..

Perhaps there is a market for small tins of your paint. I found that listing, and theyve sold 83 of the litre tins: maybe buy your 23 quid litre, some 125ml tins and list em up for 15 quid.. You only need to be slightly cheaper to drift towards the top of the "lowest price inc postage" ordering :)

Last edited:
Understand the sentiment; I have 3 lengths of 4m beech worktop, bought for 135 quid each about 4 years ago, that one day will become a staircase. At the moment I'm horrendously busy with at least 25 other part completed jobs and there is a cheapo pine staircase in place that works, so they're gonna sit a few years more..

Perhaps there is a market for small tins of your paint. I found that listing, and theyve sold 83 of the litre tins: maybe buy your 23 quid litre, some 125ml tins and list em up for 15 quid.. You only need to be slightly cheaper to drift towards the top of the "lowest price inc postage" ordering :)

25 part-completed - that sounds about right!! Mrs Tet says "only 25? - you sure you two aren't related?"

eBay repotting. That might just work.......that's what I need, another project

Regards

Tet

Hear here. I've just ordered 5 glazed oak doors and a fork lift truck because I needed another couple of projects!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back