Phone signals

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm on O2 and the last few month's my phone signal keep's either dropping out altogether or drop's to one or two bar . I've an iphone 4 and I hadn't updated it in age's so I updated it to the lastest IOS7 update and what a mistake that was I think it's shoite but it made no difference but since then I've spoken to other O2 user's who are having the same problem so now I'm thinking are they compromising the 3G network in order to force you onto 4G when they go live????

Sponsored Links
Everybody seems to be complaining at the moment.

Voda are rubbish, O2 are sliding, EE also disappearing fast.

The only SIM I seem to get a consistent signal on is 3....

Mock them if you like, but the evidence, at least here in SK7, is clear!!

And it works indoors as well - bonus!!

I've got an iPhone 3GS on O2 that's been shoite on signal ever since I got it. The customer service in their shops our way is appalling so after ten years with them I'm moving when my contract is up in January. Problem is, who do I go with next? They all seem to be as rubbish as each other but Vodaphone has better signal in the areas I'm mostly in. It seems there's always a compromise somewhere.....

I went over to 3 about a year ago and they’re fine. Had major problems getting a signal from O2 and Orange.

I have, just yesterday, cancelled my home WiFi. All I ever wanted was Internet at home but no-one seemed to offer that without ‘a package’. (Land line calls etc.) I went through just using a dongle some years ago and got ripped off by Vodafone who boasted a good signal; only to find it’s theoretical. (How pathetic!).

But by the time they suggested doing this and that and going to their branch to change the SIM I’d gone over two weeks and was committed to their crap signal for 18 months! Goodbye Vodafone, you’ve lost my custom forever!!! :evil:

So anyway, bringing it forward to today. I have decided to dump my WiFi again, (from Primus this time), and have gone for Mobile WiFi, a Huawei E5331.

I have a contract for my mob on 3 which gives me loads or unlimited access and free calls, so I’m hoping I can just swap my Nano SIM, (using an adapter), and use that in the Huawei. It’ll be a faff swapping all the time and it may be worth my while getting a dedicated cheap SIM instead. But at least it’ll be cheaper than the £18 per month from a land line based provider.

Anyone used one of these Mobile WiFi thingies?

Sponsored Links
Tone,

If you are on "The One Plan" with Three (and your phone is clever enough), you can "tether" - i.e. use your phone as a modem, then connect your laptop etc to the internet, via your handset.
While I am out and about, the kids (Nexus 7, and other HTC phone) can piggyback my phone (via tether), and so surf the net - provided they are within my wifi distance. Which they are, if we are all in the car.

That’s interesting ta Brigadier. I wouldn’t know how to do that or if my phone/deal will allow. My phone is a Samsung Note 2. I just asked my friend at work to try my mob Nano SIM to connect to my Huawei using his Ipad and it came back “This can only be used with your mobile phone”.

So it looks as though I’ll need to get a dedicated SIM. He uses one from 3 at about £12 for three months which gives you 3 gig. Still lots cheaper than the £18 per month I was paying and I don’t need much more than that I think. (Internet banking, forums and the odd You Tube...

Pretty sure with a Note II you'll be abler to tether, Tone.

Which 3 deal are you on?

At about the same time as Orange said they were joining EE, the signal has deteriorated. Often, the signal bars on my phone (an ancient Nokia) are zero or a little above zero.

Recently, I have tried phoning people and have had to resort to texting, which just about gets through.

What's the answer for a technophobe like me who only wants phone and text? Who should I be with?

I'm in a similar dilemma at the moment.

I am with Asda mobile, who are a MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator) piggy-backing off Vodafone. Voda's signal in Stockport is carp. They are actually moving their whole network in April to EE... which is equally carp where I live in SK7. Mrs Secure has a Virgin SIM. They too are an MVNO, piggy backing off T Mobile, who have joined up with Orange. Their signal is carp here, as is O2's. It's no good going with Sainsbury (they are MVNO too, piggy-backing off Voda) or GiffGaff (MVNO, O2).

So, that leaves 3 for me.

What I would suggest, WS, is the cheapest option is to work out which areas you use the phone the most. Then ask everybody you know in those localities what mobile operator they use and what the signal is like.

When you've pinpointed a couple of hopefuls, buy a bog standard PAYG SIM card (or better still, blag one FOC) and load it with a fiver of call time. Then use it in a spare handset (If you've not got one, I can send you one, no bother) to see what the coverage is like and how you get on.

This is exactly what I am doing with 3 at the minute. They've got 321 SIM: 3p for calls, 2p for texts, 1p per MB data PAYG. I'm not using the data and I'm still on my first £5 having topped up a couple of months ago!

I can send and receive both texts and voice calls from inside the house every time: something I cannot do with any other carrier.

Give it a go!

I'm in a similar dilemma at the moment.

I am with Asda mobile, who are a MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator) piggy-backing off Vodafone. Voda's signal in Stockport is carp. They are actually moving their whole network in April to EE... which is equally carp where I live in SK7. Mrs Secure has a Virgin SIM. They too are an MVNO, piggy backing off T Mobile, who have joined up with Orange. Their signal is carp here, as is O2's. It's no good going with Sainsbury (they are MVNO too, piggy-backing off Voda) or GiffGaff (MVNO, O2).

So, that leaves 3 for me.

What I would suggest, WS, is the cheapest option is to work out which areas you use the phone the most. Then ask everybody you know in those localities what mobile operator they use and what the signal is like.

When you've pinpointed a couple of hopefuls, buy a bog standard PAYG SIM card (or better still, blag one FOC) and load it with a fiver of call time. Then use it in a spare handset (If you've not got one, I can send you one, no bother) to see what the coverage is like and how you get on.

This is exactly what I am doing with 3 at the minute. They've got 321 SIM: 3p for calls, 2p for texts, 1p per MB data PAYG. I'm not using the data and I'm still on my first £5 having topped up a couple of months ago!

I can send and receive both texts and voice calls from inside the house every time: something I cannot do with any other carrier.

Give it a go!

Thanks for the info, really appreciated. Confirms what I thought. Even started looking around for another moby, as I thought mine was failing.

In my living room, the signal is often zero. At the mo, it's hovering between 1 and 3 bars signal strength. Not long ago it was full signal here all the time.

Will ask around friends and family to see who's getting the good or bad signals and what networks they're on. I had a quick look, but couldn't find any comparison type websites for mobile signals in various areas, similar to broadband comparisons.. Would be interested if there was anything useful online.

Will also look at 3 and may do a test on a PAYG sim before signing up for a contract.

Bloody PITA! :(

Oh yeah! Before you sign up, definitely go for a PAYG to make sure you can live with the service short term.

If you have a handset already (or get one independently) you could buy a SIM only deal.

Some are renewed every month, so if something awful happens, you can get out. Even if you've ported your number over, you can move it to another provider. Just give them 30 days notice.

I'm on three, as supposedly only three and t mobile cover my area.
At home, I can only use my phone in the garden, and occasionally, upstairs.
even areas of Birmingham are devoid of three coverage. And forget the entirety of north Wales, where we have another office.
What has it come to, when good service is the exception, rather than the rule?

Everybody seems to be complaining at the moment.

Voda are rubbish, O2 are sliding, EE also disappearing fast.

The only SIM I seem to get a consistent signal on is 3....

Mock them if you like, but the evidence, at least here in SK7, is clear!!

And it works indoors as well - bonus!!

We're only next door in SK8, but get a good indoor signal from O2.

It must be that great mast thing that sprouted up just outside our front door (no, not really!).

I have, just yesterday, cancelled my home WiFi. All I ever wanted was Internet at home but no-one seemed to offer that without ‘a package’. (Land line calls etc.)

We used to have a broadband + telephone land line package with Virgin, but I changed that after Virgin were dragging their feet sorting out a problem with the land line.

I then opted for broadband only from Virgin - no charge for making the change as we had been with them for several years - and took out a contract with Vonage to have VOIP telephone via the broadband connection. £6 a month (half the price of the Virgin landline rental) and free calls at all times to all 01, 02 and 03 numbers.

I'd recommend them.

Sponsored Links
Back