Phone socket interference

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi- I have been using broadband through my main incoming BT socket via usual filter of course. No probs there. I also have a BT Paragon corded phone plugged into same main incoming socket and this is OK as well

Also around the house we use three BT Freestyle cordless phones and these all feed off the main base (transmitter) station that is plugged into one of three (old) existing extension sockets. This system also works alright

Just had a problem by buying a new corded phone and get bad interference noise/crackling when plugged into any extension socket. I tested by disconnecting the cordless phone base but no difference.

Would I be right in thinking that I need another kind of dedicated filter to use with this new corded phone? Maybe something to do with the above set-up (broadband etc) ? I am aware of the REN loading but dont think this is the problem?

Hope someone can help TIA

David

Sponsored Links
do you have a wireless network / router?

these can sometimes cause problems.

EDIT: sorry, misread. Disregard. wireless network causes problems with cordless phones, even DECT.

Do you have ADSL filters on all your connected handsets (or basestation)? Normally you need to unless the system is wired such that all extensions go through one filter on the master socket.

Porker said:
Do you have ADSL filters on all your connected handsets (or basestation)? Normally you need to unless the system is wired such that all extensions go through one filter on the master socket.

No - I have no ADSL filters apart from the main incoming BT socket. The house extensions are wired behind it and then go around the house etc.

I have had no noise on the cordless phones - just a new corded one.

It sounds as if I need to use on on this new set? I only thought that a filter was to be used to split the incoming phone line and the PC connection lead. I havent got any wireless PCs in use at the moment

Sponsored Links
ADSL filters should be fitted on ALL phones/units that use the telephone sockets, including SKY TV (if connected) This is to filter out the high frequency ADSL signal from your normal voice phones, you have to plug a micro-filter into each phone socket.

Salem.

salem2000 said:
ADSL filters should be fitted on ALL phones/units that use the telephone sockets, including SKY TV (if connected) This is to filter out the high frequency ADSL signal from your normal voice phones, you have to plug a micro-filter into each phone socket.

Salem.

Thanks Salem and others. Just fitted a spare ADSL filter to the new corded phone and all clear! Isnt the internet a wonderful thing? Appreciate the help from all posters.

Im still wondering why my BT Freestyle cordless phone system is not affected by the lack of any filter on any extension socket. Who cares? If I do get any probs then I'll just bung another filter on it.

My missus initially wanted to call in BT to check all phone wiring @ £67 call-out charge plus £70 per hour thereafter! You can bet they would have had fun in wasting time by testing every single socket and laughing inwardly as they finally came up with the golden answer "Yes sir - our conclusion is that you might need one of these filters in the back of our van"... etc. It ha sgiven me great pleasure to inform 'er indoors that she has been proven wrong again!!!! hehehehehehe

You need a dsl filter on all regular phone line.
All of the switches are made be AT&T anyways...
Basically, you junction box has an ATT voice modulator that only passes voice through.
Your telco first programs the modulator to allow digital service to your home. Unfortunately, ATT didnt plan on DSL when they implemented ISDN. So the modulator will send a full spectrum when programmed for DSL.
You need a cut-off filter for all non-digital connections. Generally this is called a dsl filter and has the proper freqencies cut off.

shdwsclan said:
You need a dsl filter on all regular phone line.
All of the switches are made be AT&T anyways...
Basically, you junction box has an ATT voice modulator that only passes voice through.
Your telco first programs the modulator to allow digital service to your home. Unfortunately, ATT didnt plan on DSL when they implemented ISDN. So the modulator will send a full spectrum when programmed for DSL.
You need a cut-off filter for all non-digital connections. Generally this is called a dsl filter and has the proper freqencies cut off.
PLEEEASEEEE!!!!!! note where we are. who the hell are ATT? :eek: and ISDN is mainly used for commercial / business applications here. I know you mean well mate, but please get your facts straight, things are very different here in the UK.

Sponsored Links
Back