broadband woes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a filter on my cordless phone set. I also have a filter on my router. Why does my broadband keep disconnecting when someone uses the phone? It also happens when the sky box dials out (though its not on a filter, i thought the point of the filters was to stop interference in your phone calls, though i may be wrong about that). The sky box is making an alarming number of phone calls too, i might ring them up and see whats wrong. But my broadband is suffering!!!!! :cry:

Also the phone jack in the master socket is loose. Do BT change these free? Or is there a fee cos we broke it? Could i change it myself for a non-BT one? It appears to be a non-BT one now, its smaller than normal master sockets.

Sponsored Links
as far as i know all connections should be plugged into the bt master socket front no connection can be connected to any othe part of the bt eqipment or wires
in other words it should be a bt master thus you would be responsible for the cost to fix replace it with the correct equipment

just my understanding though ;)

Hi crafty,

All telecom equipment that is connected to a phone line used for broadband internet access, should be connected to the phone point via a ADSL filter. This includes phones; fax machines, skyboxes, etc.

Failure to do this can result in the broadband connection being dropped when someone uses the above equipment.

And just to top up what everyone has already said, BT are only responsible for your master socket and not any extension socket (unless they fitted them).

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
Igorian said:
What kind of percentage failure rate do you see Igorian?

Probably quite small as a percentage of the total jobs I do. I generally find that they are dead on arrival rather than fail in service.

Igorian said:
Softus said:
Igorian said:

Probably quite small
I was merely interested to know what "loads" meant.

Now I'm curious to know what "small" means, which in this context appears to be used interchangeably with "loads" :confused:

Softus said:
Igorian said:
Softus said:
Igorian said:

Probably quite small

Now I'm curious to know what "small" means, which in this context appears to be used interchangeably with "loads" :confused:

In response to the original problem, it means nothing. I was just trying to indicate that I had seen these symptoms a number of times before and a filter had been at fault. "Loads" seemed to fit the bill. However, if I were to buy a "load" of filters, that would be 50. ;)

Igorian said:
Softus said:
Igorian said:
Softus said:
Igorian said:

Probably quite small

In response to the original problem, it means nothing.
Well then, I remain in the dark, in a land where "loads" means "small", and "small" means "nothing" :rolleyes:

Is it really that hard for you to get specific about the number of faulty filters that you've encountered, in either absolute terms or relative to the number of non-faulty ones that you encounter?

Softus said:
Igorian said:
Softus said:
Igorian said:
Softus said:
Igorian said:

Probably quite small

In response to the original problem, it means nothing.
Well then, I remain in the dark, in a land where "loads" means "small", and "small" means "nothing" :rolleyes:

Is it really that hard for you to get specific about the number of faulty filters that you've encountered, in either absolute terms or relative to the number of non-faulty ones that you encounter?

It's not a statistic that I keep close track of.

Igorian said:
It's not a statistic that I keep close track of.
Hm. I happen to know exactly how many ADSL filters my company has bought and sold, but I guess that's just me.

How about a rough number from you though? To the nearest ten perhaps? Or nearest hundred? Thousand? If not, then perhaps you could indicate how you expected forum readers to interpret the word "loads" when you posted it.

Softus said:
Hm. I happen to know exactly how many ADSL filters my company has bought and sold, but I guess that's just me.

You must be thrilled.

Softus said:
How about a rough number from you though? To the nearest ten perhaps? Or nearest hundred? Thousand?

a thousand (to the nearest thousand)

Softus said:
If not, then perhaps you could indicate how you expected forum readers to interpret the word "loads" when you posted it.

I suspect no-one but you cares.

Igorian said:
OK. So somewhere between 500 and 1500. And out of those, how many have you seen fail?

Igorian said:
Softus said:
If not, then perhaps you could indicate how you expected forum readers to interpret the word "loads" when you posted it.

It seems that you can't then. Or won't. In the absence of any detail, the word "loads" makes it look like you were just showing off. Can it be? :eek:

Softus said:
Igorian said:
OK. So somewhere between 500 and 1500. And out of those, how many have you seen fail?

Igorian said:
Softus said:

It seems that you can't then. Or won't. In the absence of any detail, the word "loads" makes it look like you were just showing off. Can it be? :eek:

I had a feeling something like that was coming as i've noticed that you seem to take pleasure out of nit picking.

All I do on here is try and give free advice when I can. I don't know it all and I only reply to threads when I think I have some valid input. I get a great deal of pleasure from it, but I wouldn't consider myself a show off.

I do sometimes wonder why I bother

Sponsored Links
Back