photos

Sponsored Links
Lovely job roy, never worked with fibreglass before..need to look into rectifying that :D .

Nice pics there Roy. ;) I'm like Alastair, never worked with fibre glass either.

That's nice work, Roy - looked at them three times. It looked a right bodge before you started. How about giving us a list of the materials you used?

Sponsored Links
Looks a nice job. Out if interest, what thickness ply, how many layers of cloth did you use, and what is the life expectancy of such a roof?

Thanks for your comments lads ;) I will sort out the invoice for the materials Joe but we are only talking of about 10 metres in length and the widest part being the top of the parapet. As for the ply we could only use half inch WBP ply as we were govered by the height of the abutting gutters and the profile. We fixed it down with stick likes s### and plugged and screwed it. We used two layers on the profile of the parapet and in the gutter, most roofers use only one lay up and that is usually enough. As for the life of the roof I couldn't say as I have not seen any fail yet. I would not normally take on any fibre-glassing but I was annoyed at this so called mate giving me such an high quote so thats why I did it. I did a lot of fibre glassing in Guernsey in the 80's (making "OG" gutters in 3metre moulds,) then we used to use what we called a 2 ounce lay up which was 2 layers of matting. Also I replaced a lot of parapet gutters with glass after the wooden gutters had been destroyed by dry-rot when the old lead had failed.

list of materials

15 metres of "450" matting
1x20kg.GFSResin
1x5kg Topcoat
1x3 ltr. acetone
1x500ml. catylist
rollers
gloves
brushes
buckets.....

I take it that the topcoat has UV protector within it to prevent sunlight degradation?

Very useful post roy - I've never actually seen a GF roof. Would love to know more - can you recommend a site or a book to peruse, if you've got time? If not, then thanks for the info provided anyway, definitely food for thought.

I take it that the topcoat has UV protector within it to prevent sunlight degradation?

Very useful post roy - I've never actually seen a GF roof. Would love to know more - can you recommend a site or a book to peruse, if you've got time? If not, then thanks for the info provided anyway, definitely food for thought.

I'm sorry mucka I cant recommend any books or sites but I'm sure there must be some out there .You would be surprised how easy the "system" is to do once showed .There must be a uv protector in the top coat as it is usually grey. When we did the moulded gutters we used to mix the pigment in the resin and top-coats ourselves and this was always white. And it was very concentrated and didn't need a lot to colour it. It cant be that complicated as my memory is not what it used to be and I still remembered how to do it... :LOL:

Thanks for your comments lads ;) I will sort out the invoice for the materials Joe but we are only talking of about 10 metres in length and the widest part being the top of the parapet. As for the ply we could only use half inch WBP ply as we were govered by the height of the abutting gutters and the profile. We fixed it down with stick likes s### and plugged and screwed it. We used two layers on the profile of the parapet and in the gutter, most roofers use only one lay up and that is usually enough. As for the life of the roof I couldn't say as I have not seen any fail yet. I would not normally take on any fibre-glassing but I was annoyed at this so called mate giving me such an high quote so thats why I did it. I did a lot of fibre glassing in Guernsey in the 80's (making "OG" gutters in 3metre moulds,) then we used to use what we called a 2 ounce lay up which was 2 layers of matting. Also I replaced a lot of parapet gutters with glass after the wooden gutters had been destroyed by dry-rot when the old lead had failed.

list of materials

15 metres of "450" matting
1x20kg.GFSResin
1x5kg Topcoat
1x3 ltr. acetone
1x500ml. catylist
rollers
gloves
brushes
buckets.....

Brilliant reply,, very informative, straight to the point,, and everything you'd expect from our Roy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back