Picket fence - what type of wood ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I intend making my own picket fence. 4x1 pickets with 3x2 cross pieces. 4x4 posts to support the 4 sections I will make. A key point before starting , however, is what kind of wood to use. I am thinking of pressure treated wood as, I am led to believe, this can last for 15 years under typical UK weather conditions. I do want to paint the wood, however and have seen comments about pressure treated wood not taking paint very well if the treating is fairly recent. I have seen kiln dried treated wood but am not clear of the drying eliminated the poor paint adhesion issue with treating the wood or not. I would appreciate expert guidance on this matter so I do not waste my money and I want to do a good job, so it will last a long time. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Pressure treated wood is the way to go and yes, if freshly treated it will be wet (and heavy). Just build the fence and give it a few weeks to dry out before painting. You could even leave the panting until next year. It will be fine in the meantime.

Thanks, NTB. I appreciate the reassurance and the additional advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back