Picking suitable UFH for tiles - and correct method for installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

We are having an extension built. The kitchen will be approx 6m x 4m. We want a tiled floor (probably slate), and under-floor heating. I am trying to determine the best system to go for; as well as the best method for the tiling.

This is what my research has uncovered- I would appreciate comments to validate or correct the below.

1. Water system under screed.

Pros: efficient. Seemingly easy to find a system that accommodates tiles. The plumber does the hard work and the builder puts a level floor in place for me to tile on to - nice and easy for me

Cons: builder says that laying the screed on to a water based system is a pain (barrow cannot go over pipes) which will cost me money. Screed takes a month to dry before we can turn heating on - we move in in December. Expensive to buy and expensive to fit.

2. Water system over screed

Pros: efficient. Builder is happy - no need to screed over UFH. quick - Don't need to wait for screed to dry before using it.

Cons: expensive. I can't find an over-screed water system that is suitable for tiles. Unclear how I tile on to one: do I need to pour SLC first?

3. Electric system over screed:

Pros: cheap. Builder is happy - no need to screed over UFH. Surely cheaper to install on the basis that I can lay the insulation, roll out the mats and the electrician can connect them up to the mains. Quick.

Cons: inefficient. I do more of the work and I still don't know how to tile over it - do I need SLC first?

Any comments or advice would be welcome!

Sponsored Links
Hi David, cant comment with regards the wet UFH, but i know alot of our installers/fixers are liking the Vario Pro electric UFH. Basically its a cable that is installed over a decoupling matting, meaning your tiles will not crack and you also do not need to screed over, with flexible tile adhesive simply back fill the matting, then tile.

Warmup Prowire for me. Fix it to the screed and tile over it. Just make sure your builder uses a plastic trowel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back