Picnic Bench

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to build my own picnic bench. I was hoping it would be more durable but an estimate on the cost of timber is giving me serious cause for concern!

Unless, I’ve misunderstood, I need several 47x200 kiln dried timbers for the top and seats. They are averaging at around £18 each. We then have some 4x2 for the cleats.

I estimate that this will cost me around £150!

Does that sound about right and are there any cheaper but worthwhile alternatives?

Sponsored Links
in general you can buy a complete bench or table cheaper than the cost off raw materials unless you are making a custom made size that is widley outside the sizes available

Is there a cheaper type or size of wood for this project as I would like to give it a go?

i use 6x2 [45x170mm]at around £3.50 a metre from my local wood yard ryall and edwards

Sponsored Links
Is that for the table top/seating and the legs? Or do you use something more substantial for the legs?

i just use the same timber for all 5 planks 25mm apart for the top gives you 850mm wide and 1500mm long
then 2x800mm ripped down the middle [70x44mm]going across underneath a plank distance apart to hold 2 legs 125mm in from the table front and back edge
you then replicate the 2x800 ripped down at the bottom for the feet with 4x44x44mm replaceable pads for feet each end off the table
legs set in 250mm from each end

Last edited:
Thanks @big-all. Is it worth considering wider timber for the legs or not necessary in your opinion? This will be for myself and wouldn't want to go through this exercise again in a couple of years! I also wasn't sure if the wider timber for the legs throws the proportions out and hence best to stick to the same size...

Really appreciate your help.

no 6x2 is fine for the legs just be aware it will weigh a ton so need at least 2 people for final assembly and to move it

Thanks. What degree should I cut the legs at? I've seen 28 degrees somewhere

vertical and parallel in my design the only angles are 45 degrees to knock the corners off the cross batons and foot[the 800mms]
built like an "H" with the cross bars at the very top and very bottom

oh ok. I've seen an A frame arrangement on many of the online videos. Does this offer any structural benefits over your approach or vice-a-versa.
Finally, do you have any pics of your finished article please?

my bench doubles as a woodwork bench so has to be vertical to transfer the load
if i had angles it would start to rack to and fro
cant do pictures only on whats app although i may be able to email some ??

ok, makes sense. In my case, it will only be used as a picnic bench. Does that make either of the leg arrangements a more attractive choice?

if you build it with seating attached you wont be able to lift it :eek:
the seats i made are constructed exactly the same as the table except 2 planks and single for the legs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back