Pics from the Workshop

Crackin shots those westie........I havnt seen a cable fault from a shotgun before, seen a live one spiked, but never shot !!!! :eek:

Sponsored Links
a cable fault from a shotgun before

A good one was that, local estate with a pheasant shoot on it, shooting was finished and everyone was walking back to their cars when one bird took to the air so a guy took a snap shot.

Unfortunately he missed the bird & hit the cable going up a terminal pole. Another guy & his son were nearer the pole when it went BANG (and on an auto-recloser) so got showered with sparks.

Needless to say the guy that took the shot had words said to him, the gamekeeper who had organised the shoot had words said to him by the estate management (who also had a big bill to pay).

The OCB is a D4X from an open prison in the area, the substation had a leak in the roof which resulted in the "failure"

• Thanks
Reactions: Gil
I know it's a DIY forum, but I wish all posts were as interesting as this one. Great pics and thanks for posting.

I agree,I'd love to find forums with this sort of L/V & H/V postings!

Sponsored Links
This is the cable in position on the pole

DSCF0884.jpg

One HGV in contact with an 11kV line
DCP_0194.jpg

The tyres and ground
DCP_0198.jpg

DCP_0196.jpg

Burn as a result of being too near some 11kV switchgear that exploded
IMG_1252.jpg

The switchgear
capontree046.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: Gil
Westie, that recloser wouldn't have been a gvr?

No in this case it is a ground mounted SF6 breaker with an SDND relay on it. The cable is underground from this pole for scenic reasons (and it's the main shoot so saves an overhead line getting "peppered")

Not seen a Long and Crawford go up without human help before, and that was when a friendly local tried to cut through the cable at the bottom of the gland plumb......needless to say he was partly cremated for his efforts. What was the cable going up the pole not seen that used before ?....

Not seen a Long and Crawford go up without human help before

A manufacturing defect on a batch of them (Made just after Alsthom took over L&C.)
The adjustment of the contacts on the switch/fuse part was out of tolerance. A team was working there following the Sw/Fuse tripping for a fault on the transformer 11kV cable and had finished work and re-energised the circuit, 30 seconds later the gear failed.
Caused by an arc across the out of tolerance contact.
It initially led to a total operational ban, then one on just the Sw/fuses until loads of inspections on the suspect batch showed it was pretty much a one off.

The cable is an XLPE that we are now using, generally known as triplex

Northern power grid are upgrading a lot of the HV mains near me at the moment using that type of cable.

OOI, what sort of current carying capacity do you get with that cable?

OOI, what sort of current carying capacity do you get with that cable?

It really depends on size, we use 95mm2, 185mm2 & 300mm2 and the usual factors. I think the 300 is somewhere over 600A continuous in normal ground conditions.

I know I need to get out more, but do you have a pic of a cross section of one of the cores?

Is it twisted like that to reduce EMI and interference or is there some other clever reason?

The cable make up is a circular solid aluminium core (which on the 300 makes it a pig to bend!), then the XLPE insulation, a layer of a semi-conducting medium, layers of water block, stranded copper, another water block layer and finally the PVC sheath.
It's twisted to allow it to be handled as one cable, I doubt it makes much difference to EMI etc.

SP use the same, but the three XLPE cables have an outer sheath around them making it into one cable.....RF heres a picture of our XLPE singles that we terminate into a trifurcating (excuse my spelling) joint with the main cable.....

cables.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back