Picture Framing Composite Decking. Best Place For Butt Joint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am laying composite decking and will be picture framing with a one layer perimeter.

The main centre of the decking will use 19x 3.6m boards, and with the two parallel edging boards this should be 2.92m depth.

The edging boards are 3m, which means there will be one piece on the left and one piece on the right hand edges and I can trim them to be 2.92 depth. But the parallels on front and back will not be long enough for a single piece and thus will need a butt joint.

Is it best to put the butt joint exactly in the middle, or just fill in the small 87cm that is missing?

upload_2020-8-10_10-58-53.png

The parallels need to be 3.87m so there will need to be 2x 3m edging boards at the back (garage side) and 2x 3m edging boards at the front. So should I cut the boards at points C and D (two boards of 1.94m for the back and two boards of 1.94 at the front) or at A and B (3m + 87cm at the back and 3m + 87cm at the front)?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back