Pillar drill 240W motor not starting/spinning, just hums

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a small 240v pillar drill with a 550W motor. It's getting on a bit but has been very reliable until recently - every now and then the motor doesn't turn and just hums, spinning the chuck by hand gets it going, but isn't exactly safe.

Is this due to a worn capacitor, or will I have to replace the entire motor?

Sponsored Links
If it's getting on a bit it might have a switched start winding - in which case it could also be a dicky centrifugal switch.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. I was just wondering if it was more than a worn capacitor due to the random way that it's been starting - I used it for most of this afternoon and at a guess I'd say that it started normally roughly half of the time, occasionally it stuttered before getting going, and sometimes needed more than one spin by hand.

I'll have a look for a replacement capacitor - it has to be worth a go before forking out for a new motor!

There is probably a wiring diagram inside the terminal box, a photo of that and/or the terminals and wiring might reveal additional information.

If the starting is stuttering then I would go with Simon's suggestion of a worn centrifugal starting switch.

A defective capacitor would result in consistant poor starting and would be un-likely to make the motor stutter as it started.

Since intermittent I would not expect the capacitor but something connecting the capacitor. There are a number of methods already mentioned is centrifugal switch. There are also timers but mainly that type are used with pumps. Even possible as part of start switch.

Once the connections are checked it is probably easier and cheaper to rule out the capacitor with a new one as this is what it turned out to be on one of our hydraulic cardboard compactors when it suffered from erratic starting.

Connections checked and everything seems ok. Trying a replacement capacitor would definitely be the easiest option as I don't really fancy removing and dismantling the motor - problems with the centrifugal switch sounds terminal - at this rate it will probably end up on ebay for spares!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back