1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Pillar drill 'Humming'.

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by ellal, 23 Mar 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnW2

JohnW2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Well, since you ask ...
    However, I never said anything about the chuck of the OP's drill - it was the pully he had been told to touch. I was merely responding to your general comment that "We've all held chucks while the drill is spinning".

Kind Regards, John

2. Sponsored Links
  3. bernardgreen

bernardgreen

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    One of the first injuries I treated ( work place first aider ) was caused that way.

I have also had friction burns from holding a chuck and pressing the trigger to close the chuck.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. ellal

ellal

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the replies.

I'll try and source the capacitor locally, but if not I have seen it online - direct from HK!

Will post back as to whether it is a solution or more help needed.

Cheers

5. winston1

winston1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Two tests are required.
    1. measure the capacitance using test equipment such as a bridge or a multimeter with a capacitance range.

2. If it passes 1 you need to establish that it does not breakdown at its rated voltage. This means applying the rated voltage through a limiting circuit and noting that it does not break down.

6. bernardgreen

bernardgreen

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    One rough and ready way to test a large cap is to charge it to a known voltage and then connect it to a discharged capacitor of the same capacity. The voltage should drop to approximately half if the capacitor has not lost capacity.

If it is a very large capacitor then connect via a resistor to limit the current from cap to cap and then allow a few seconds before meaasuring the new voltage.

That will give good idea of the capacity. Then charge it to a high voltage and using a high impedance volt meter measure the rate of voltage drop. A perfect capacitor will retain the voltage without it dropping.

7. Norcon

Norcon

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    How do you get burned from spinning a motor pulley free hand?

8. JohnW2

JohnW2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    By not moving your hand away fast enough if/when the motor kicks in.

Kind Regards, John

9. conny

conny

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Surely talking about electric motors is electrics? :confused:

Why can't you just accept that what you said was dangerous and gracefully retire from commenting any further?

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  10. Sponsored Links
  11. bernardgreen

bernardgreen

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    No it is not. You are the one who is giving bad advice, not tosh but dangerous !

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  12. conny

conny

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Common sense dictates that any moving object, whether it be rotational, or linear, has the potential to cause injury. Its one of the reasons why it is the law to guard moving parts of machinery. You are advocating removing a guard that protects fingers becoming trapped in moving belts and then instructing someone to place their hands in a position of danger. That in itself is a criminal act and if an employer was to sanction this type of action and someone was killed they would face at least a charge of corporate manslaughter. Just because you sit behind a keyboard and give this advice on an internet forum does not abdicate you of committing a similar offence, albeit a lesser offence if the person 'only' loses a few fingers.

If you want to argue this point from a legal standpoint then please continue, but I think its fair to point out that I have experience of these legalities through investigations I have had to attend in a Safety officer capacity for a large multi national company. If you removed a guard in a workplace you would be facing a charge of Gross Misconduct with subsequent dismissal.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  13. viewer

viewer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
  14. conny

conny

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Discussion closed.
    When you can't explain your position reasonably and with respect to the other person then resort to abuse. The tell-tale sign of someone who refuses to believe they could be wrong. My ex father in law was of a similar ilk.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  15. Norcon

Norcon

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  16. conny

conny

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    People who break the law never do.

But I can bet if you were the one to get hurt you would be screaming for the HSE to come down heavily on those responsible.

17. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.