Fobco star pillar drill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone
I have just bought an old pillar drill for my shed... Fobco star bench drill. I have watched videos on YouTube o. How to change the speed of the drill, loosening the motor and pulling it forward towards the chuck end. The motor is already forward but the belt is really tight, and I can't get it off. I am very new to pillar drills and am lost in how to get the belt off. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks Steve

Sponsored Links
I’d guess the belt is a little on the short size, if all of the adjustment has been used up.
To get the belt off, try turning the chuck by hand, and with the other hand lever the belt upwards against one of the pulleys. The belt should ride up over the pulley edge and release itself.
Try simplybearings.co.uk to measure the belt length and width, maybe choose one a centimetre or two longer.
John :)

Hello everyone
I have just bought an old pillar drill for my shed... Fobco star bench drill. I have watched videos on YouTube o. How to change the speed of the drill, loosening the motor and pulling it forward towards the chuck end. The motor is already forward but the belt is really tight, and I can't get it off. I am very new to pillar drills and am lost in how to get the belt off. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks Steve

I bet you had fun carrying that to the shed, they are chuffing heavy.

Heavy is an under statement. Bargain for £20though
o_O:eek: I have bought the right size belt but I am unable to move the motor back to get tension on the belt. Any suggestions ?

Attachments

• fobco star.jpg
    fobco star.jpg
    494.1 KB · Views: 87
Sponsored Links
Nice drill but not that old. I have a Tauco that I've had for 30 years, bought it at a car boot sale and recently did a bit of research and found out that it is probably at least 80 years old! Never changed speed but it's the same system - loosen the motor, should give just enough slack to manipulate the belt while turning the chuck. My belt is probably quite loose, but it means it just slips when the drill bit jams in the workpiece rather than damaging the motor or blowing fuses etc.

The motor is usually on steel sliders with a lock up bolt or occasionally a hinging mechanism from one side.....can we see a few more pics of the motor itself please?
I'm yet to come across a drill of this size that didn't have a tensioning mechanism but there's always a first!
If all else fails, then packing between motor and its holding bracket may be needed.
John :)

Heavy is an under statement. Bargain for £20though
o_O:eek: I have bought the right size belt but I am unable to move the motor back to get tension on the belt. Any suggestions ?
I paid over £300 for a Fobco star, so you’ve done well.

mine has the motor on a couple of slides and some locking knobs, maybe yours doesn’t have the original motor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back