Pillar drill 'Humming'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its safe. Have done it a few times.
So have I (and similar hazardous things), but it's definitely not safe - you and I have just been lucky. .... but I have also, in my time, seen a good few examples of what can happen when fingers get muddled up with rotating machinery - and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, least of all myself!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Its safe. Have done it a few times.
So have I (and similar hazardous things), but it's definitely not safe - you and I have just been lucky. .... but I have also, in my time, seen a good few examples of what can happen when fingers get muddled up with rotating machinery - and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, least of all myself!

Kind Regards, John

It's no more dangerous than using a drill. Are you going to tell diyers to stop using drills?

None of the 4 methods would determine the value.
Then what method would?
As I wrote earlier, Method 4 in the link would, provided the value was within the capabilities of the meter. ... but who would be interested in measuring 'the value', when it's written on the component - it's surely a fault that one would want to look for, not a change in 'value' (capacitance) !!

As has already been observed, Method 1 is both useless and plain dangerous, whilst Methods 2 and 3 are pretty vague, and would not reveal a fault which only showed itself at high voltage.

Kind Regards, John

"With burnt out start winding or fault capacitor flicking pulley would likely start the motor so the flick the pulley method is not only dangerous it is also useless to tell it rewind or capacitor required. "

So its one or the other in your opinion?

Which one would you opt for first? A full rewind or a cheap capacitor?

[/quote]

Sponsored Links
It's no more dangerous than using a drill. Are you going to tell diyers to stop using drills?
I don't think you get it. You've done it, I've done it, and I dare say many of those reading this have done it, or something similar, and we've probably all 'got away with that' (and we might well even 'do it again' in the future). However, there's a world of difference between what we've decided to do ourselves and advising someone on a DIY forum to do it.

I'm sure that many of us in this forum have done things with electricity (and may well do again in the future) which we would not dream of suggesting, let alone 'advising' anyone else to do, least of all 'DIYers'.

Kind Regards, John

None of the 4 methods would determine the value.
Then what method would?
As I wrote earlier, Method 4 in the link would, provided the value was within the capabilities of the meter. ... but who would be interested in measuring 'the value', when it's written on the component - it's surely a fault that one would want to look for, not a change in 'value' (capacitance) !!

As has already been observed, Method 1 is both useless and plain dangerous, whilst Methods 2 and 3 are pretty vague, and would not reveal a fault which only showed itself at high voltage.

Kind Regards, John

Who would be interested in measuring the value?

How about oil techs?

I don't think you get it. You've done it, I've done it, and I dare say many of those reading this have done it, or something similar, and we've probably all 'got away with that' (and we might well even 'do it again' in the future). However, there's a world of difference between what we've decided to do ourselves and advising someone on a DIY forum to do it.

Kind Regards, John

Why do you think the OP will get his fingers mangeled?
We've all held chucks while the drill is spinning. Should drills be banned from diy use?

We've all held chucks while the drill is spinning. Should drills be banned from diy use?
Nope, but nor should you advise someone in a public DIY forum to hold the chuck of a drill whilst it is spinning.

Kind Regards, John

So oil techs never measure the value in your opinion?
Of a small 12 μF capacitor associated with a tiny motor in a DIY pillar drill? No, definitely not. Why would an 'oil tech' be involved with such an issue, anyway?

This is not only way off-topic, but is getting plain silly!

Kind Regards, John

Nope, but nor should you advise someone in a public DIY forum to hold the chuck of a drill whilst it is spinning.

Kind Regards, John

Everyone does that with cordless drills and keyless chucks.
Whats dangerous about it?

Is it more or less dangerous than giving a pulley a spin before you apply power?

Everyone does that with cordless drills and keyless chucks. Whats dangerous about it?
You tell me - it was you who brought drill chucks into the discussion!

You've also just moved the goalposts by talking of keyless chucks for the first time. Grasping a traditional metal keyed chuck whilst it is spinning has the potential to do some nasties! (have you never got your skin caught in the winding teeth of such a chuck, even when it was not spinning? !)

Kind Regards, John

Everyone does that with cordless drills and keyless chucks. Whats dangerous about it?
You tell me - it was you who brought drill chucks into the discussion!

You've also just moved the goalposts by talking of keyless chucks for the first time. Grasping a traditional metal keyed chuck whilst it is spinning has the potential to do some nasties! (have you never got your skin caught in the winding teeth of such a chuck, even when it was not spinning? !)

Kind Regards, John

What makes you think the OP's drill has a keyed chuck?
And even if it has then its more dangerous than spinning a pulley by hand as is the keyless chuck.

Surely your not daft enough that you cannot see that?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back