Pilot light burning away,how much does it cost per year.

J

jerholdsworth

can anyone shed any light on how much gas is used to burn a pilot light on a boiler for a year.
for example.an ideal classic balanced flue approx 15 years old.
not looking for £££ just amount of gas used in k/w.
many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Cor blimey Guv, trouble getting spares for these - very tricky to work on, All those moving parts - you need a new one. If you agree today my manager has allowed me to let you have, say £400 off? Its an investment innit.

ring any bells?

As to Kw/h I just reckon on a pound a week or so. Keeps the Heat Exchanger pre heated too.

This boiler really is a 'classic'. keep it.

DH

hope this helps, this was an earlier post from a few months ago on a conversation about measuring gas leaks, i work in a training centre and sometimes we can play :eek:

right the first version of tests is as follows:
created 4mb gas leak over 2 mins on a compression fitting, took a very accurate reading of the meter, went back 2hrs later and calculated gas lost, i appreciate it isnt very scientific as i was taking manual readings but i purged the gas before i started to get it bang on a reading, and again after only 2hrs isnt exact science but good enough till you guys come up with a better test criteria
so result is gas lost over 2hrs x 12 x 365 to give an equivelant for a whole year is 0.876m3 for the year, a quick google check has gas at £0.06 per kw/hr.
so check the calculations/formula here
0.0002m3 in 2hrs x 12 x 365 = 0.876m3
to give costs 0.876 x 39 (cv) /3.6 x £0.06 = £0.56.94
so a 4mb drop over 2 mins on a 22mm copper installation uses £0.57 worth of gas per year.

next i measured the pilot usage on a BAXI 401 BBU, again over 2hrs and found:
0.0426m3 so again
0.0426 x 12 x 365 = 186.59m3 x 39 / 3.6 x £0.06= £121
so a pilot on a BBu uses about £121 per year, thats one for the energy efficiency bods amongst us, again not perfect science but close enough,

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=275462&start=45#ixzz1Y9i88kW1

The amount used by a pilot light varies considerable according to the model and how the pilot is set up.

Typically the cost of a permanent pilot is going to be about £60-£120 per annum.

Thats why permanent pilot lights are no longer used and for a while a boiler scrappage allownce was given for older boilers to help people replace them with more efficient models.

Of course not all the heat is lost. For half the year its adding to heating the house.

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links
So half the Heating Allowance given to pensioners - goes on their pilot lights :eek:

Timely, was going to ask the same question! Pilot in my ideal mexico2 looks like a hob burner, is it possible to turn them down.

To the op hope ypu dont mind me chipping in but my q maybe of interest to you too.

easy enough take an accurate reading when your not in the house for at least 3 days
then read when you come back
then divide by the number off hours you where away then multiply by 24 write it down then times by 365 to get your answer

This is not an excact science as when the boiler is firing for hot water or heating the pilot will be incorporated with the main gas used, also it does keep the heat exchanger warm so will heat up quicker, some older gas meters with slightly worn valve mechanism could pass the ammount of gas a small pilot light would use with out registering, make sure it is correctly adjusted so as not to use more gas than needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back