Pilot Light won't stay lit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm having some problems with our Combi boiler:
It's an Alpha 240P Gas Combi.

Bit of history:
We'd been having problems with the pressure creeping up to 3-4 Bar! over the last couple of months, and more recently some of the radiators downstairs remaining cold (or at best warm at top and cold at the bottom/in the middle) and called a CH Engineer to check it out.

He fixed the problem with the pressure by re-inflating some kind of valve/thing at the top of the boiler by the flue (sorry, can't remember the name), but stated that the fault with the radiators was down to sludge and that he would recommend either a powerflush (£300) or flushing the radiators out myself.

Yesterday:
After checking on the forum here and through the DIY manual, I figured it didn't sound too difficult so I followed the instructions (closed the lockshield valve and the wheelhead valve, and undid the union nuts).

For some reason the first radiator seemed to take ages to empty, so I checked the boiler pressure and it had dropped down to 0 bar!

The wheelhead valve hadn't shut properly although it was turned as much as possible. :(

As I had 3 rad's to sort out I left it like that and removed and flushed the 3 rads.

Everything was reconnected and I re-pressurised the system up to 1 bar, doing one rad at a time, opening up the bleed valve and letting water into the rad via the wheelhead.

Once all 3 rads were sorted, I checked the boiler and the pilot had gone out.

Follwed the instructions for re-lighting the pilot (hold in button for 60 seconds while pilot lights then let go of button), but the pilot keeps going out just as the button is released.

I've tried it 3 or 4 times now; the pilot lights after about 10 seconds, but after slowly letting the button out, it goes out just at the last bit.

Is there anything else I can try?

We had this problem in the past when I was trying to get air out of the system and bled too much off. (Pressure dropped too far, and pilot went out. Had to get an engineer out that time).

Has anyone got any suggestions to what might be wrong and whether there is anything I can do to fix it?

No heating in March isn't good. :cry:

Sorry for length of post,

Al.

Sponsored Links
Your boiler needs a new thermocouple, removing the rads, refilling and re-pressurising will have had no effect on it. The part costs about a fiver, but a heating engineer will charge £55-£65 to supply & fit - well at least I would.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back