Pilot Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was with a gas engineer today carrying out a service on a gloworm space saver and the gas pressure was a little low, so it was increased to correct measurement but this evening the pilot light kept going out when heating was called for?

The gas pressure was dropped back down to the level it was at before it was increased and all was fine.

But I was wondering why this was happening, can anyone offer me an answer to why increasing the pressure would cause this when heating was called for?

Sponsored Links
hmmmm can`t actualy go in to this one, for few reasons .
mainly gas safty, but it could be many things get him back.
as it may be service issue, if you paid for one.

I'm a gas student doing an intermediate gas cert so was after the knowledge for my own studies/knowledge?

The boiler is at a neighbours house and is all working fine now that pressure reduced, just wondering why it doesn't work when pressure increased to correct measurement?

one your student and can not work on some else appliance until you have passed
two ask your trainer i can not put the answer on an open forum

Sponsored Links
Ok, will ask on Wednesday.

I don't work on any gas appliance unless supervised by Gas Safe Engineers, it's how I build my portfolio of evidence.

I just find it frustrating when I don't know the reason behind something.

as a chippie i haven't got a clue but suspect too rich causing sooting plus pressure causing colder part off flame to touch the heat sensor :D :D :?:

as a chippie i haven't got a clue but suspect too rich causing sooting plus pressure causing colder part off flame to touch the heat sensor :D :D :?:

i think your wrong as if that was the case and he studying he would have spotted that

If thats all what was going on then why did you not ask the RGI about it at the time?

It sounds as if you may have been there with the RGI during the day but then you went back to have a fiddle during the evening.

Any student doing that with me would immediately be ceased!

If thats all what was going on then why did you not ask the RGI about it at the time?

It sounds as if you may have been there with the RGI during the day but then you went back to have a fiddle during the evening.

Any student doing that with me would immediately be ceased!

You seriously are a nob mate!!! Everytime I post on here you have a go?

I am trying to learn the trade, I ask alot of questions what's wrong with that? I try and research the answers myself but when I get stuck I post on here and get slated for it everytime?

Yes it clearly states that I was with the engineer in the first post and I have
said before I do not work on any gas unsupervised.

The engineer came back out to turn the pressure down.

However, I have had a note posted through the door this morning saying the pilot light keeps going out so I will call him to get him back to my neighbours and ask him seeing as I can't find the answer out for myself.

Spacesaver pilots usually need a good clean and on the older ones people struggle on how to actually split them for cleaning.
If pilot is weak and the main burner pressure is turned up then it can pull the pilot away from t/couple and cool it down thus dropping out.

Sniperone you are not that slow on up take as you have sussed Agile already ;)

Spacesaver pilots usually need a good clean and on the older ones people struggle on how to actually split them for cleaning.
If pilot is weak and the main burner pressure is turned up then it can pull the pilot away from t/couple and cool it down thus dropping out.

Sniperone you are not that slow on up take as you have sussed Agile already ;)

A more helpful reply, thank you :)

okay since namsag posted he right
but he not meant to tell you that on the open forum
good luck with your studies
p.s. if you can confrim your a student
via a proper liance from your mentor feel free to pm me
but i would also need your name

And why am i not meant to tell him is it some sort of secret feking society .
I have informed him what is wrong and why .
This has not told him in anyway how to strip it and clean it and i have not advised him to do that.
Its exactly the same as telling joe bloggs to get their boiler serviced because its dirty would that be classed as telling them to do it themselves. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back