Pilot not coming on: Potterton Kingfisher RS50

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, everyone,

Central Heating wasn't coming on, so had a look on boiler and pilot was out.

I switched the dial to the OFF positon and waited 5 minutes.

I then have tried every position on the dial and sparking it, but it doesn't catch.

I can see it sparking fine.

The dial does not push in (so you could hold it for a few seconds when it catches) like old boiler - it just turns and has dial positions:

OFF --> MIN 1 2 3 MAX

If I slowly turn it from the OFF position, just before I get to MIN I can hear a switch go, but nothing to hold in to start the gas flow.

Anyone famialr with this model/process to re-light?

Any help would be great!

Sponsored Links
Your pushing the thermostat knob!

You need to depress the grey knob on the gas valve

Thanks, after a bit of googling have found the complete manual on www.partsarena.com.

Right, I have found the 'control knob/valve' and I am holding it down while I spark, but it still is not catching.

Any other tricks I need to do with it?

Apart from be persistant and making sure your gas hasnt been turned off.

When was it last serviced. This will cure most faults on this boiler.

Sponsored Links
We moved in about 5 months ago - hasnt had a service while we've been in to be honest.

The manual says to do this (below) - guess I need to keep trying until I know the right 'feel' for this old piece of ***

A. Remove the casing front panel by turning the plastic fastener at the top of the panel a 1/4 of a turn and lifting the panel up and away from the boiler.

B. Check that the main electricity supply to the boiler is switched on and that the boiler thermostat is in the OFF position.

C. Ensure that the time control, if fitted, is in an on period, and that the room and/or cylinder thermostats, where fitted, are set to high temperatures.

D. Turn the control button clockwise as far as possible
(approximately 1/12th of a turn), then release it.

E. Press and hold in the control button, then press in the igniter button until a click is heard. Release the igniter button but continue to hold in the control button and check through the sight glass, that the pilot has lit; hold in the control button for a further 30 seconds, then release it and the pilot should remain alight.

NOTE: If the pilot fails to light or goes out at any time, immediately turn the control button clockwise as far as possible (approximately 1 /12th of a turn), then release it and wait three minutes before repeating the lighting procedure. The control button should not be touched during this period.

F. Turn the boiler thermostat on and to a high setting and the main burner will light.

G. Set the boiler thermostat and the room and/or cylinder thermostat(s) and time control, where installed, to their required operating conditions.

H. Refit the front panel.

Gas cooker working ..etc.

Central heating was working the other day, so must of gone out since then.

The little 'window' near the pilot is a bit loose, but cant image this stopping it?

The electric socket the boiler is conencted to is definately live.

Could I have a faulty thermo-cupler or gas value?

Service req'd pilot is likely to be contaminated.

OK thanks - will try manually lighting with a taper as well, but think no gas is coming out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back