Pine door panels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to get thin pine panels similar to those that were were used in Victorian/Edwardian pine doors? That is, not ply but solid timber? I've tried searching the web but am obviously using the wrong search terms.

Thanks
Richard

Sponsored Links
I have an idea they were made with edge-glued board.

I would have thought a competent joiner could make you a repro door.

The originals would mostly have been factory-made but even today, young would-be joiners make doors from scratch during training. Sometimes never afterwards, though.

Thanks. It's not the doors I want, it's the panels. I'm making some wall panelling from doors, but will need extra panels in lengths that are not found in the doors.

you can make your own edge-glued boards. They used to be prepared with a very long plane, but there may be a more up-to-date method.

I presume you haven't got a thicknesser.

Sponsored Links
No I haven't, hence my question as to where they could be obtained. They are plain sheets of pine about 6mm thick. I can find 6mm ply, and I can find veneered MDF. Any ideas?

sorry, no. 6mm is very thin for pine boards. could you use a thicker board and set it back?

you can probably find pine floorboards about 18mmx100mm. If T&G they might be even easier to glue together.

By chance I had a joiner make a door for me last year, and he used a rail saw to thin a board he needed. but I am no good at woodwork so wouldn't attempt myself. If you can find a small local joinery works they might make you some.

I have an idea they were made with edge-glued board.
Original doors used solid thin boards (which I always found rather remarkable). Modern repros use the 'edge-glued' or 'composite' or 'furntiture' boards you describe.
Presumably these panels are going to be unpainted wood, otherwise you'd use MDF or ply?

Presumably these panels are going to be unpainted wood, otherwise you'd use MDF or ply?
Yes, that's right. The rooms is going to be panelled in the style of an oak panelled room, but with materials reassembled from dismantled Victorian stripped pine doors. Additional panels are needed for some door reveals, in a longer length than is available from the doors. The 9mm boards that foxholes linked to are just on the limit for thickness (ie no thicker, to fit), but unfortunately the supplier is at the other end of the country, and quite reasonably doesn't deliver to Yorkshire...

The biggest problem you have is that large thin boards such as those you are talking about can be horribly unstable - I've seen a lot of split door panels over the years. There is also the issue of available board width. I've worked on enough Victorian buildings to know that the 14 to 16in wide quarter sawn boards available quite commonly in Victorian times are simply no longer available - and for maximum stability you need a quarter sawn board.it's that simple. A trade joiner working on a restoration project might be able to obtain some material such as this but it might mean going through a heck of a lot of material on the off chance, even if recycled yellow pine were to be sourceable (Quebec yellow pine was often favoured for pine doors prior to WWI). You might then be fortunate enough to find a joiners shop which has a large band saw with a power feeder, but such places are few and far between. So I think that were I doing something like this I'd take the pragmatic approach and get a firm such as Lawcris or Spa Laminates (both in Leeds - I'm based in the north of England) to make me up a thin plywood panel, veneered both sides, or if it were possible to buy-in a pre-made veneered plywood sheet at 8 to 9mm thickness I'd consider using the thicker panel and adjusting the frames to suits - a difference of 1 to 1.5mm per side is often not going to be that noticeable in the finished product, if at all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back