PINE FLOORING

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Advice please.

Looking for some flooring which is real wood and can be stained and varnished. Surface area is quite small and will be over floorboards which are pretty even and had all nails countersunk.

Initial idea was to use WICKES [yes I know 'spit!'] unfinished Bordeaux pine which I was going to glue as a floating floor on top of underlay. The height wouldn't really be a problem and,as stated, the area is quite small.

However, I have been searching on here and I read that this flooring is really meant as replacement floorboards and not as a floor [even though use as a floating floor is suggested by WICKES]

Now I am sure that someone [WoodULike??] on here can point me in the direction of some alternative. I do not want to use laminate nor carpet or tiles.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
As long as the Pine has T&G it can be installed over your existing floorboards (ontop of foam underlayment).

When applying a finish, add a colour otherwise a natural finish will turn your pine boards orange.

"When applying a finish, add a colour otherwise a natural finish will turn your pine boards orange."
In my opinion this statement is correct on Pine when using Hardwax Oil.
If you use a waterbased lacquer these will not alter the colour significantly unless they have a colour in them to start with.
:)

Then all the pine lacquered boards I've seen so far must have had colour in them - orange colour.
It is inherent to most pine species to mature 'orange' like Oak matures 'honey colour' (or yellow as some will say)

Sponsored Links
Second question..............

The floorspace is 2,34m long and 0.97m wide.

The T&G boards are 2m

They cannot be placed 'sideways'

Now I am assuming that there is a minimum length when staggering joints. For example, using a full length [2m] board then a small 34cm piece would affect the strength. I am assuming that, on the first run, I need to cut two 2m lengths to a certain size to ensure maxium strength.

Any advice please?

Many Thanks

Best indeed would be the stagger the boards more.
Depending where you start and making sure that the row in front of the stairs doesn't have a joint right there you could start with one board cut to 1.5 meter. The next board you cut to length to end the row. The left over piece (1.16 meter by my calculation) you use to start the second row. The left over piece of the next board (0.82 meter) you use as starter for row 3.
etc, etc etc. Make sure the joints are always more than 30 cm apart from the neighbouring row - if needed you could cut a left over piece even shorter.
Depending how wide your boards are I don't think you run the risk of creating a 'pattern of joints' - but do tell me the width if you like.

Cheers WouldYouLike.

Boards are 120mm wide which is just right as the width across is approximately 970mm.

I have made a sketch plan of the lengths and pattern I need staggering the joints and I think I have incorporated the 30cm stagger.

Basically Row 1 is one 154cm piece and one 80cm piece.
Row 2 is 120 and 114
Row 3 is 148 and 86

The pattern then repeats across the 8 lengths.

Your help is much appreciated. Must remember to contact you when I do the downstairs hall and livingroom as I want proper flooring a la engineered.

Mind you, that could be some time.....

I would cut the first board for row 3 shorter, say 80 or 90 cm otherwise all your joints will be around the middle of the floor.

Sounds fine. Think the actual doing will show you better how to proceed.

Hello all,

Just thought I would take the time to thank everyone for their tips. It has been some time since I asked the advice on here but, unfortunately, work takes precedence over DIY!! ;)

Anyhow, new flooring all fitted without a hitch thanks to the folks on here and their advice. Have used a nice water-based stain and some tough varnish. Looks an absolute treat!

Thanks again,

Belboz :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back