Pipe behind fridge leaking - help !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I have just found out that a piping joint behind the fridge is leaking. It is the one that supplies the fridge with water for ice etc etc.

I have isolated it to the ptfe junction or the valve itself - not the push fit connector.

So I need some help now as my knowledge has run out !

1 . How do I go about tightening it , or should I replace the PTFE ?

2 . Can I buy a proper replacement, which wont have PTFE tape on, and if so what do I ask for in B+Q, or does anyone have any on line links

3 . How do I replace it with regards to undoing a push fit connection ? Do I need a special tool ?

Pic below

Thanks

Mehul

Sponsored Links
if that is a washing machine tap it is attached to, turn it off using the lever and unscrew it. There should be a rubber washer against the seat in this valve. PTFE tape is only used on screw joints such as radiator tails, and on the olives of compression joints. You can buy a reel of PTFE tape at negligible cost. If the rubber washer is missing or damaged you can buy some, again at negligible cost, but take the old one with you. You can also get a fine nylon mesh grit filter that goes in the fitting that screws to it.

If it is the olive in the compression joint that is leaking, dismantle and clean both halves thoroughly, and put a few turns of tape on the olive, overlapping onto the copper pipe at both sides. There is no point in putting tape on the thread of a compression joint where the nut screws on because it is not, and is not supposed to be, watertight.
The seal is at the olive. There is no point putting tape on the threads of the hose nut because the seal is at the rubber washer inside.

I am not familiar with the grey plastic item. Possibly it has some magic anti-scale feature, or a grit filter. The white nut might possibly screw straight on to the angled valve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back