This joint leaking...what to do ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys..daughters radiator is leaking from below the bottom nut (see pic)...it is definitely from below as I've checked all around the top by taking the cap off...it is a radiator on a combination boiler system...I've tried tightening it and pushing ptfe tape into it but still leaks...I'm assuming the whole connector needs replacing...I've tried turning the connector feeds off to isolate the radiator but still leaks...would I need to replace the connector now you think ?
20171114_123206.jpg

Sponsored Links
if you have a drain off point.drain the system then replace the valve.To be on the safe side replace the whole valve including the pipe nut and olive..Or Call a plumber!you could always faf on draining it down and repair leak using ptfe and boss white.could be that the olive is not on the pipe far enough and its been knocked or worn away...It aint a 5minute fix

It's a compression joint, when you remove it there will be an olive on the pipe which ideally you'll need to remove and replace with the new one, combined with some fresh PTFE on the thread might get you a good seal. However, as you'll have to drain the whole system (or most of it) to replace this you might just want to the peace of mind to replace the whole valve as they are relatively cheap.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/chrome-angled-radiator-valve/33920

Also pay attention to the condition of the end of the pipe, if it's heavily deformed from the fitting you might not ever get it to make a good seal - and you'll need to solder in a fresh section of pipe.

Hi,I think I knew the best option was to replace the whole fitting and I feel confident enough but the only thing I'm concerned about is how to safely (not damage pipe ) remove the existing olive on the pipe as I'm assuming it's going to be stuck on tight

Sponsored Links
Do not put ptfe on new olives
FFS.safest way is to buy olive splitter to remove olive.can remove olive with junior hacksaw but bit tricky if you have never done it

should be ok without ptfe.new valve.new olive.new nuts..better off without ptfe.

Hi,I think I knew the best option was to replace the whole fitting and I feel confident enough but the only thing I'm concerned about is how to safely (not damage pipe ) remove the existing olive on the pipe as I'm assuming it's going to be stuck on tight

There's several techniques to getting old olives off, and plenty of you tube videos with demos, but essentially they all boil down to pulling, bashing or cutting :)

You can try bashing it off using the old nut for leverage (assuming you're not reusing it), if that doesn't budge it there are tools called Olive Pullers. The most reliable is just cutting it with a junior hacksaw - which is fiddly and frustrating in confined spaces, but copper is pretty soft and it doesn't take long. Just be careful not to cut into the pipe. Cut on the diagonal, go slowly and accurately, stop before you get all the way through and leave a tiny bit of the olive intact and you should be able to break the last sliver by sticking a flat-head screwdriver into the cut and twisting.

Thanks guys...I would only have ever put ptfe tape on the thread . . I think removing existing olive is my main concern ...ie draining everything down,removing existing fitting,then actually seeing olive may be damaged in someway and NOT being able to remove it...I will look into prices of olive removers /splitters..final question...as it's a combination boiler do I just turn the boiler off then drain it...I know I have to repressurise it after and do the rads etc...but not sure if I actually turn boiler off or not

Yes turn the boiler off at the mains isolator. You don't want it trying to run the pump while you're draining the system. Make sure you know how to operate the filling loop on the boiler before you start.

Refilling can be a time-consuming process as air can get trapped in the system - you can usually work your way around these by turning different radiators on and off to force water into different parts of the system. You will have to bleed all the radiators several times.

Before you drain everything down, loosen the nut off a few turns and re-tighten. Make sure you have a towel down to catch any water that leaks out.

If it doesn't work you've lost nothing, but sometimes that can be enough to seal a leaking olive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back