This joint leaking...what to do ?

Go round the house and make yourself a radiator checklist of all the radiators in the house, which you can mark off against each time you open or close the valves on a radiator. Forgetting to close the bleed valve on a radiator before filling is a messy mistake.

When I did a similar repair, my process was as follows (2 people is ideal for this, if you do it alone it requires a lot of running about). I'm sure there are many different methods for doing this, but this one worked for me.

1. Isolate the boiler.
2. Find the lowest radiator drain point and put a container under it.
3. Open the drain (some fluid will come out but not much). Keep in mind this may contain inhibitor chemicals and other nasty deposits.
4. Start at the top of the house, fully open the bleed valve and the TRV/radiator valves on each radiator in turn and leave it open. Then work your way around all the radiators back to the drain radiator.
5. You'll probably need to swap/empty the container several times.
6. Once all the bleed valves are open and no more liquid comes out, close the drain valve.
7. Do your repair.
8. Go around and close ALL the bleed valves and TRV/radiator valves (use the checklist!)
9. The next bit is easiest with 2 people. Have one person stay with the boiler and operate the filling loop - their goal is to keep the pressure just above 1 bar at all times (or whatever is suitable for your system when cold).
10. The other person then goes around, starting with the radiator closest to the boiler, opening the TRV/radiator valves to full, then opening the bleed valve and leaving it open until fluid comes out, then closing. When it's full, move onto the next one.
11. Each time you fill a radiator, the pressure in the system will drop. If you have an accomplice they should be using the filling loop constantly to keep the pressure up. If you're on your own, go back to the boiler after each radiator and get the pressure back up - or you can just leave the loop open while you run around all the radiators but keep checking on it as it's easy to over-pressurise that way.
12. Once you've got to the last radiator - loop back to the first, and bleed them all again.
13. Keep doing this until you're satisfied that they are all full.
14. Close the filling loop, verify the system pressure is correct for your system.
15. Turn the boiler on. Activate the central heating.
16. The pump will start and you'll likely hear a lot of noise and bubbles as the pump moves air around the system. If the pressure drops sharply, turn the boiler off and repeat steps 10 onwards again, get the system back up to pressure.
17. With the CH running, go around and bleed all the radiators again. Allow the system to warm up.
18. If any radiator is cold at the bottom, then there is likely an airlock. You can often resolve these by turning off/on the radiators around it, putting more pressure on the air lock. This wasn't an exact science for me, but after about 20 mins of trial and error, I resolved the 2 airlocks I got. Keep in mind after you resolve an airlock, that air is still in the system and will need to be bled off and the system topped up.

Sponsored Links
2. Find the lowest radiator drain point and put a container under it.

5. You'll probably need to swap/empty the container several times

Or stick a hose pipe on the drain cock??!?

17. With the CH running, go around and bleed all the radiators again. Allow the system to warm up.

Don’t bleed radiators while the pump is running!

18. If any radiator is cold at the bottom, then there is likely an airlock.

Riiiiiiiight

Or stick a hose pipe on the drain cock??!?

Don’t bleed radiators while the pump is running!

Riiiiiiiight
Thanks for your feedback. Could you share your own instructions for doing the same drain/fill process? I’d like to learn.

Sponsored Links
Why on Earth would I do that when there are countless guides and even YouTube videos covering all the different types of systems.

Instead of being a smart arse apologise to the OP for giving poor advice and move on.

Well thank you for your time and effort in this information,I will now take it all in.really appreciate it....many many thanks

When you refill the system and repressurise, before switching the boiler back on determine if your boiler has an auto air vent inside or a manual one - on the top of the case. If it has a manual air vent you’ll need to bleed this as you would a radiator.

You have probably over tightened the nut and collapsed the pipe. A new olive will NOT cure this.
The damaged bit of pipe will need replacing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back