pipe benders throating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has any one got a picture of what throating looks like on a pipe bend from a bender

Sponsored Links
Ripples on the inside bend, and stretching or flattening on the outside of the bend, usually caused by incorrect pressure set on the bending machine.....also a hard pipe will be more prone unless it can be annealed.
I would guess that rippling could interfere with flow lamina through the pipe....but that's all I can recall from student days! Sorry, no pic.
John :)

No worries mate, the only experience I have of this was developing two stroke exhaust systems at Queens, Belfast and that was using stainless pipe!
We used a floor mounted bender - I don't think anything would be detrimental using a 15 or 22 hand bender - but if the pressure on the rollers was too slack, the inner bend would ripple or corrugate, even......and if the pressure was too tight, the outer surface of the bend would tend to flatten - threepenny bit style - rather than bend smooth.
The gas flow through the pipe was affected by the rippling to some degree.
Now lets wait for the professionals to comment!

Sponsored Links
Yes, you can expect a bit of pipe thinning (i.e reduction in curve radius) if you use a traditional pipe bender but this won't have any noticeable affect on water flow.
Swept bends provided by a bender are preferable to soldered 90 deg fittings where flow is important, but I doubt if you'd notice any difference in a cold water supply! Heating circuits may prove otherwise - again, over to the pro's.
Metallurgy wise, the material on the outside of the bend will be slightly thinner as it has been stretched, or pulled under tension.

Yes its like the diameter of.the pipe is a tiny bit less on the.part were.I have pulled an offset.as.you say is.this normal?

Thanks is a hilmoor set I have how long does a pair of benders last guess depends. Thanks was slightly worried about flow rate but as you say is normal :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back