Pipe detectors??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whats peoples opinion on these pipe detectors, are they any good, whats a good make as looking to get one.

Sponsored Links
Having bought every type on the market (up to £80) a few years ago I found NONE actually worked well enough to give you any confidence before drilling. Most were very susceptable to the type of brick (ie the iron content) and surface condensation.

I did consider buying a proper wall tie locator. These look like a mini metal detector and would no doubt do the job. Since they are about £400 I gave it a miss.

The cheap ones from B&Q etc are OK for live electric cables but useless for copper pipe.

You have to be about 2-3cm from the pipe in the open air to get the tracer to register. If the pipe is buried under carpet, underlay, floorboard etc, it won't find a thing. It won't even find pipes behind plasterboard walls.

It is very good at finding gripperod :!:

Sponsored Links
Always found that most people can find them with a simple hammer and nail, no need for expensive bits of kit :LOL:

My drill bit found a 1.5mm T&E at 09.00 am putting up a curtain rail and then my bolster found a 2.5mm T&E at 17.00 removing the excess plaster around a doorway. :rolleyes:

Both cables were outside the prescribed zones with no protection. It was also the first day of the job. :(

The cheap ones from B&Q etc are OK for live electric cables but useless for copper pipe.

You have to be about 2-3cm from the pipe in the open air to get the tracer to register. If the pipe is buried under carpet, underlay, floorboard etc, it won't find a thing. It won't even find pipes behind plasterboard walls.

It is very good at finding gripperod :!:

Nothing's as good at finding gripperod as my finger tips. :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back