Pipe diameter from tank for thermostatic shower?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my ongoing quest for knowledge continues with my next question.
What pipe diameter would you recommend to feed an unpumped thermostatic shower from a vented hot water cylinder via a new Essex flange? The run is approx 22 meters (up into the loft along and back down), the cylinder is fed via a 28mm cold inlet pipe and the cold water tanks are roughly above (2meter head) where I want to install the shower.

I was thinking of using 28mm but would it take longer to get the hot water that far compared to say 22mm?
All recommendations gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Id suggest invest in a pump, i piped mine in 15mm plastic. Shower worked fantastic. If your not going to use a pump then 22mm should be fine, careful with essex flange can be tricky, their is other alternatives on the market.

I'd agree. 2 metres head isn't going to give you an exhillarating showering experience like wot it says in the shower glossy.
I find Essex flanges the simplest, maybe I'm strange.

Sponsored Links
I'd agree. 2 metres head isn't going to give you an exhillarating showering experience like wot it says in the shower glossy.
I find Essex flanges the simplest, maybe I'm strange.

We have another shower but closer to the hot water cylinder which gives a good flow etc so if I can match that I'd be happy. Back to the pipe diameter, 22mm or 28mm any other thoughts re the length of run V's diameter?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back