PIPE FREEZE !!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a dodgy TRV in my bedroom. Basically it is always at full blast, even when I turn it down. Have replaced the head with one from my bathroom and still no difference. (Bathroom one does work in bathroom !!)

This was obviously easily unscrewed without having to drain the system !!!!

I now want to change the TRV. I don't really want to drain my whole system, replace valve, then have to fill it back up and spend another £30 on Fernox.

I've heard of "Pipe Freeze". Is this a good idea ? (I've got nasty visions of my whole system being dumped into the bedroom (girlfriend would then kill me !!!)) It's just that I've heard of this stuff. Where can I obtain some and would it work on a Combi System, which is under more preassure than a conventional boiler system.

Regards,

Brian

Sponsored Links
Attach a hose to drain off, open drain off, wait for water to stop coming out. Shut drain off. At this point the system is still full of waterr but is being held in place by suction.

Go to rad you want to work on, close lockshield valve and TRV, place decorators tray under one end, undo trv from radiator leaving it on th epipe for the moment, wait unti rad has drained into decorators roller tray. Now remove trv from pipe, (due to suction no water will come out as long as the lockshield at the other end is shut) put new one on, put it all back together, open both valves. Top up with filling loop and bleed said rad.

Job jobbed.

Thanks very much for that information.

I was about to use your method when I found that there is no lockshield valve on the other end of the radiator. It's one of those stupid connections that can't be opened or shut....it's just..... "there" !!!!!! AAAAGHHH.

Any idea's !!!????

Whoever had this place before me needs to die !!!!!

Brian

PB's method is fine AS LONG AS you can find the auto air release on the combi AND close it. Some don't have caps so you can't close them. If you don't close it you'll lose all the water because they let air in.

Take the top off the trv , you should be able to push the pin down against the spring. Can you?

Sponsored Links
You have just saved me from draining my system. Thanks !!!

I took the top off the TRV and found that the pin was stuck. With a bit of gently Persuasion (i.e - Large screwdriver) I managed to un-jam the pin. Now when I turn the TRV to cold, the radiator actually goes cold !!!!! Horray !!! May give it some WD40, as I just want it to last until summer. Will replace the TRV then !!!!

Thanks again,

Brian

Thanks for the comeback, nice to know we're useful sometimes! Actually TRV's usually stick SHUT, so you're lucky!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back