Freezing rad tails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, new here. I've just used the SEARCH and learned everything that I could find on pipe freezing. I've learned that it is advisable to freeze the pipe about 1m away from where you're going to be doing the work.

Now, I'm wanting to fit a towel warmer in the bathroom, which requires in-line valves. However, the (vertical) rad tails are about 6" long, and the pipework below the floor is pretty much inaccessable due to a chipboard floor that goes under the wall to the adjoining room.

So the question. How feasable is it to freeze the tails, bearing in mind that I would have to cut the freezing jacket to size? Or am I asking for a whole world of hurt? It just seems a tad excessive to drain down the whole system for just one radiator. :confused:

Cheers. ;)

Sponsored Links
Thought you yorkshire folk would have worked out the cost of freezing kit Vs. your time(free)+a bottle of inhibitor...or you could save the drainings and reintroduce them to the header tank. :LOL: Add in the mess that Might be made. I know what I`d do.

Nige F said:
Thought you yorkshire folk would have worked out the cost of freezing kit Vs. your time(free)+a bottle of inhibitor...or you could save the drainings and reintroduce them to the header tank. :LOL: Add in the mess that Might be made. I know what I`d do.

Sorry, I'm a complete novice at this. :rolleyes: Could I have that again in simple terms? A bottle of inhibitor? What's this? How would you do it? HELP! :D

freeze them and make sure the new valves are closed when you fit them

and make sure you have everything to hand before you start :eek:

Sponsored Links
If your system is open vented just plug the feed and expansion pipes. You shouldn't get too wet then, unless you start opening bleed valves. ;)

nstreet said:
If your system is open vented just plug the feed and expansion pipes. You shouldn't get too wet then, unless you start opening bleed valves. ;)

Like holding your finger over a liquid-filled straw?

So this is insetad of the freezing? Obviously the feed and expansion are in the loft in the tank?

Darth Paul said:
I would have to cut the freezing jacket to size?
Darth Paul said:
Sorry, I'm a complete novice at this.
KevPlumb said:
make sure you have everything to hand before you start
Could you please set up a webcam before you start. My bet's on you draining the system by accident :LOL:

Darth Paul said:
nstreet said:

Like holding your finger over a liquid-filled straw?
Yes

So this is insetad of the freezing?
Yes

Obviously the feed and expansion are in the loft in the tank?
In most cases.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back