Pipe from septic tank

Outlet pipe should always be slightly lower than the inlet pipe, sounds to me like your 'Builders' have scratched the surface, thrown a few lengths of pipe in and kicked the soil back over the top.

I would seriously recommend you get someone who knows what they're doing in to sort this out properly, before you find you've sewage backing up towards the house and are in an unholy mess, and are unable to even flush the WC.

Sponsored Links
I can't think how they've done this, never mind thinking that it was correct :rolleyes:. Also wondering how the outfall pipe is reconnected?
If there are any inspection chambers between the house and the tank, Jane will see how things are running.
John :)

Is there something at the end furthest away from the tank that
How long has the septic tank been in?
An awful long time I would have thought, before much regulation in force or done without if no pre or after chambers but confirmation pics of whats there would be good ...time for an upgrade to a treatment plant maybe?

Sponsored Links
So the problem we had was with the soakaway and pipe running over that so inlet and outlets are as they were.
The pipe connecting to the outlet is lower (as was the previous pipe).
We think the issue had been that previous owners had run most of their rain water through the septic tank (which , we've been told would have just churned up the tank contents). We've changed the guttering so it now runs to another soakawa y (and not through tank).
Don't know the age of the tank.

Its never a good move to direct rainwater through a septic tank, for obvious reasons.
However, there’s nothing wrong with a brick built tank - whether they work or not depends on the outfall soakaway. This applies to any septic system, of course - soakaways don’t last for ever, particularly if they are the clay type......perforated plastic are so much better.
Are you able to give us a few pics of the tank?
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back