Pipe from septic tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had the pipe running from our septic tank replaced because of issues with our old one & I'm worried about how shallow the pipe seems to be (top is just 2 inches from surface). Is that OK? Or should it be deeper?

Thanks, J

Sponsored Links
Well it’s always nice to have things a little deeper in case you go mental with a rotavator or a pic axe one day but if it’s just garden and no vehicles going over the top then it will be fine. Your installers may have been restricted in depth options based on existing heights at each end of the run. Only way to go deeper with pipe would be to dig down your septic tank deeper….

The old clay pipe wasn't that deep either actually, but more like 4 to 5 inches below the surface.
I was raking it over to break up clumps when I noticed the pipe.
We are planning to add some top soil so could build it up a little - would that make sense?
Or is there a better solution?

Sponsored Links
I am assuming this is the outlet pipe from the tank? If so, bite the bullet and get it dug in deeper. Out of interest, why was it replaced?

The old one was damaged, and when we had a look very sludged up (lots of fine roots). It was also quite a short run.

Would you mind giving us some pics of this one?
I would have thought the levels of old pipe and new one would have to be the same, or the liquid levels in the tank could be a little high......particularly relevant if it's a brick tank.
John :)

Hi John - what would you need a photo of - I can take a pic of the new pipe (with it so close to the surface) .
Plus when you say:
I would have thought the levels of old pipe and new one would have to be the same, or the liquid levels in the tank could be a little high......particularly relevant if it's a brick
what do you mean?

Did they replace clay with plastic? Clay would be a bit safer, it's harder to put a fork through clay than it is plastic.

That being said it should all have been considered as part of the original laying of the tank. Not a lot you can do about it now apart from sand and slab above it and then marking it.

edited for typo

Last edited:
Do you have a brick built tank or one of the fibreglass Clargester type, Jane?
If its a brick one, its likely to have two chambers.....the first one collects solids and the other should be completely containing liquid. Either way, the levels need to be the same.
There is also often an inlet chamber and an outlet chamber ( this one discharges effluent to your outfall).
Both inlet and outlet chambers should be dry, but as soon as some liquid enters the tank the outfall should flow the same quantity.
I don’t think you have anything to worry about so long as both inlet and outlet chambers don’t have standing water in them - but you need to protect the outfall ( as others have said) from interference from garden digging tools. Perhaps a paving flag or whatever would suffice for that.

If the pipe was that close to the surface when it was changed, is there any reason why didn't the contractor put a deeper outflow inspection chamber with a back drop in which would allow lowering the pipe to the soak away or drain field .

No problem with that one.....the two chamber tank reduces the chance of solid effluent getting into the soakaway, hence a regular check is helpful to prevent this.
Is the new outlet pipe the same level as the original one, and is it dry when you inspect it?

There was a load of gravel but the pipe is a few inches above the old one. Can't tell if wet since it's currently muddy & been raining. It did look ok at the weekend.

I find it strange that the new outlet pipe is higher than the original.....as I said, this means the liquid level is now higher than it used to be. This needn’t be a big deal so long as soil isn’t lying in the inlet pipe which should be an inch or so higher than the brick tank.
Anyhow, the outlet pipe should be dry if the soakaways are doing their job, so flush the loo or whatever and see that liquid is running down the outlet, which should stop running shortly after.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back