Pipe inserts help please!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
*Think* I might have made a mistake; I've plumbed a new shower; just pipe work so far nothing else, and used a mixture of grey 15mm polyplumb pipe, speedfit and polyplumb connections. I've used the smooth metal inserts on all connections. It's a cold water supply to electric shower from 22mm copper main feed. Have I used the wrong inserts!? I realised after I might have used the plastic inserts with the little rubber bungs on but didn't I used the metal ones instead. I'm all worried now I've made a massive brain fart (not like me!) but thinking about it, there won't be expansion as it's just cold water. Do I need to change them?
Thanks all
Liam

Sponsored Links
Inserts are specific to the pipe. So whatever pipe u used use those inserts.

Always stick to one manufacturer with plastic, the pipe, inserts and fittings are designed to work together as a "system" when you start mixing manufacturers the warranty becomes very vague (if not void).

If there was a problem the pipe manufacturers would blame the insert who would blame the fitting who would then blame the pipe with none of them taking responsibility. One system = One claim.

If you think about it, I surmise the o-rings on certain makes of inserts serve no purpose whatsoever with respect to water tightness of the external pipe fitting - they simply permit a slightly under-sized diameter of insert to be easily inserted into the pipe -- but I'm happy to be advised otherwise.

Sponsored Links
I always thought you could use any connectors they're designed to go on plastic and copper pipe so a mix wouldn't matter?

Any fitting will seal on any pipe but you'd get no warranty if it blew off

If you think about it, I surmise the o-rings on certain makes of inserts serve no purpose whatsoever with respect to water tightness of the external pipe fitting - they simply permit a slightly under-sized diameter of insert to be easily inserted into the pipe -- but I'm happy to be advised otherwise.

They do serve a purpose with respect to water tightness, superseal inserts give an extra seal after the o ring in the fitting. They do this by using 2 o rings on the insert. One to seal between the pipe and the insert. And the other to seal between the insert and the fitting.

But the only time I've seen the main o ring fail on a push fit fitting is due to poor installation. So as long as fittings are installed correctly. Superseal inserts are just a gimmick

Checked; pipe is polyplumb and inserts are polyplumb too. Should be ok for a few weeks until I disconnect water and refit all the same? (In a flat and need to give 1 weeks notice to turn mains water off)

When using Polyplumb you need to take extra care when inserting the pipe, always mark the insertion depth of the fitting with a pencil line on the pipe and make sure you fully insert the pipe up to the mark.

The reason for taking extra care is, the Polyplumb fitting is an "O" ring first, grab ring second fitting. If the pipe isn't fully inserted it could pass through the "O" ring and just catch on the grab ring. If you don't pressure test (18 bar on this type of fitting) the pipe could potentially blow out and leave you with a Full Bore leak.

We don't use this type of fitting anymore as it is more prone to "installer error".

Great advice thanks. It's inly a 2 m spur for a shower so I'll leave it for now and put hep20 connections on when I get back to do it in a few weeks

I don't think the inserts are too important which ones you use, some are a bit too tight though which may stop you.
I have been to many leaks in my time, but I've never been to one where the wrong fitting was used on the wrong pipe, still early days though, plenty of plastic out there waiting to pop.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back