Pipe Inserts for Shower Waste Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am using 22mm barrier pipe to remove shower waste via an AKW pump. I haven't used pipe inserts on the speedfit connectors as per the AKW manual. It says NEVER fit JG pipe inserts but ALWAYS fit JG locking collars. I've got the locking collars on.
Am guessing the reason for not using the inserts is to prevent soap, tresses and the like ragging up on them. Also it should never dead head and see too much pressure as it wastes directly into the soil pipe.
Can anyone put my mind at ease that the inserts aren't required? The joints are going to be very inaccessible very soon.
If inserts are in there and they catch debris then a blockage is possible which would mean some major work to unblock. If they do weep a little it would be no worse than condensation in the cavity given the frequency of showering. Very little pressure and the use of locking collars should ensure the joints don't come apart. Is this sound reasoning?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Won't need them. They say don't fit JG inserts anyway.
But do fit the jg locking collars. What ever they are.

What ever they are.
You get locking collets or covers that either go over or slip in between the push down top to the body/screw collar and stops it from being depressed/unscrewed, they come in different colours, great for pipe id if on a big job.

collet-covers-and-clips.jpg

Thanks guys. I've used the collet clips as per the 2nd image and what's in the AKW instructions.

Sponsored Links
It is a small bore pump, from memory 15mm pipe in and 22mm out but adding the inserts reduce the bore size, the inlet side has next to no pressure and the outlet (again from memory) is around 12-15psi. Just remember to clip it well to stop any sags in the pipe over time and you will be ok.

Thanks. it's clipped every 400mm. I've changed the final plastic/copper connection where it runs outside from push fit/push fit to push fit/compression as this was the most concerning connection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back